Unnecessary system folders???

S

seejay

Hi I have a question about Win XP. I have to harddrives, one smaller on on which WinXP normally runs on (C)
and a bigger one (D). A couple of weeks ago I accidently installed another copy of WINDOWS XP PRO on my D drive. I correceted
that by deleting the XP folders on D and reinstalling it on the C drive. Now I realized that there is a couple of hidden
and system folders on my D drive and I am not sure if they are suppose to be there or if they are leftovers from my installation.
We're talking about 7,5 GB I'd really like to have back. The folder names are : "_restore", "FOUND.000" - "FOUND.006" "System Volume Information", and "WUtemp".
The only hidden folder on the C drive is "System Volume Information" and it is a lot smaller then the one on D.
Now does anyone know if I do need those folder on the D drive for Win XP Pro to run properly or could I safely delete them and free up some much
needed disk space?

Thanks in advance

AndyCJ

How do you "accidentally" install xp? Never mind. Anyway, you can't just delete the folder, you need to uninstall it. I have no idea at this point what your boot.ini looks like. And are you saying you now have both XP Home & XP Pro on C: drive? If so, why? And if you do, I strongly suggest you just reformat everything and start again.

Anyway, the SVI folders are where your System Restore points are located. Do you need the one on D:? Who knows now. I do know it certainly should not be larger than the one on your boot drive. If you don't do a reformat, then just disable System Restore and reboot. You can then delete the SVI folders. Now Reenable System Restore and reboot.

Ok I think the deal was that I tried to update Win ME to Win XP pro ... but instead of updating it installed Win XP (I got PRO ... no HOME) on a different drive.

I tried to uninstall both ME and XP ... but quite honestly couldnt figure out how to do that. So I deleted the XP folders and formatted my C drive before reinstalling XP PRO on C.

Ive got two Boot.ini files .. one on C and on of D. Thats what they say:

on C:\
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

on D:\
[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
C:\="Microsoft Windows"

I definatley gonna try to do that Recovery disabling thing you suggested .. do you have any idea what to do with those FOUND.00? folders? Do you think I could delete 'em?

Delete the boot.ini on D:

Did you upgrade from ME? If so, then definitely reformat and reinstall XP Pro as a FRESH INSTALL, not an upgrade. Even if it's an upgrade disk, it will allow you to do this. All you need is the original disk from a previous version - it will ask you to insert it at some point just to prove you have it.

Again, if I were you I'd just wipe everything clean and start from scratch.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back