Unmountable Boot Volume Problems Different

B

bladex452

ok, i've been reading on the unmountable boot volume threads, my problem is a little different though. i have a 200 gig western digital, the computer is fairly new, and i keep it updated to the the second.

i was playing on the computer last night, shut it down and turned it back on right before i went to bed. when i did i got a blue screen, unmountable boot volume. when i try to boot of the xp cd i get some partmgr.sys error, and if i can actually make it to the recovery console, it doesn't find the drive at all, dos fixboot and chckdsk can't run.

if i turn the computer on now, it's SLOW, really slow. this is with bios reset to fail safe. windows actually starts to the load, logo comes up, everything is just way slow. finally it crashes with the unmountable boot disk. any ideas? i've swapped ide cables, exchanged ram. i don't understand why the recovery conole won't find it. the drive is partitioned into two ntfs 100 gigs. if i plug it back up to the ide card (it's running through MB now), it doesn't find it at all. i'm running xp with sp2 / all updates and norton antivirus updated.

jason

Welcome to the forums bladex452. :)

If it starts to boot up have you tried getting into it through safe mode?

safe mode normal mode, all that, nothing works. still blue screens unmountable.

I took the hard drive out and put it into another xp machine. when it booted up it auto ran a chkdsk on the hard drive. i figured it was fixed, put it in the other computer, finds it perfectly fast, no lag, but still messes up. only this time i can get into console and run chkdsk /r. so i did that. it runs forever, gets to 50% then says something about unrecoverable data. the drive is in two partitions, so just go to install a new version on it, and format the first partition. it installs windows fine, go to reboot, now it can't find the drive. any ideas? :p

jason

I just got done with the same problem yesterday. Mine was with a Maxtor drive. The problem is a corrupt boot sector. The only way to fix this, according to Maxtor, is to do a low level format. Maxtor has a low level format utility, and I believe Western Digital does too. Only problem with this approach is you have to reinstall everything, unless you have a disk image.

I wonder if anyone else has had problems with these 200 gig WD's. This is my second one i've went through. If it has bad sectors, they'll be replacing it. I wonder if the second partition was affected, windows xp setup still reads it has a NTFS partition, but the first one where windows was is unknown. everything i'm wanting is on that second partition. Guess i'll try the low level format, and just reinstall everything. i did a quick format on it when i installed last night. I have some disk recovery programs at the house, guess i better try to save what i can. i have another computer exactly the same, same EVERYTHING, but it's running on a 120gig, never has trouble like i do with this 200 gig.

Originally posted by eddieb
I just got done with the same problem yesterday. Mine was with a Maxtor drive. The problem is a corrupt boot sector. The only way to fix this, according to Maxtor, is to do a low level format. Maxtor has a low level format utility, and I believe Western Digital does too. Only problem with this approach is you have to reinstall everything, unless you have a disk image.

when i get home from work in a few hours i'll paste the newest stop code.

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
Do you get a STOP code? That would be helpful.

I know my WD became incredibly slow (20min+ to boot) just before it crashed. I hope this isn't the same...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back