Unmountable Boot Device

Freakzilla

OSNN Addict
Can anyone offer any help on this-it is not strictly an XP problem. I have built myself a P4 system and have 2 HDD's one with XP on which I installed from scratch when I built the system and 1 with W2K Pro on which was the HDD in my old P3 system. When I try to boot up the W2K HDD I get a BSOD with the message "Unmountable Boot Device". I am guessing that there may be an issue with the difference in MOBO chipset but can I get around this without reinstalling W2K? I can access the HDD within XP and retrieve files etc. but for some reason it will not boot

Thanks in advance

You have to rebuild the MBR and bootsector of the drive since it is no longer the root

boot from the XP cd, use the recovery console, and type in fixboot and then after thats run FixMBR, it should write to correct info to teh drives so that 2k can mount correctly

Do you have onboard RAID/ATA100 controllers? (you have this IF you have 4 IDE controllers) If you do, then explains why the Win2k isn't booting up. You would have reinstall Win2k nad would need a floppy with your RAID/ATA100 controller drivers. Maybe someone knows how update those drivers, without reinstalling.

I tried to do samething. I took my harddrive, which was used on an Asus A7V 133a to an Abit KT7a-RAID. Both use different RAID controllers, so I had to reinstall 2k/XP. This was because the hard drive could not be detected due to the drivers. Hopefully this will help you.

Originally posted by ZipTriX
Do you have onboard RAID/ATA100 controllers? (you have this IF you have 4 IDE controllers) If you do, then explains why the Win2k isn't booting up. You would have reinstall Win2k nad would need a floppy with your RAID/ATA100 controller drivers. Maybe someone knows how update those drivers, without reinstalling.

I tried to do samething. I took my harddrive, which was used on an Asus A7V 133a to an Abit KT7a-RAID. Both use different RAID controllers, so I had to reinstall 2k/XP. This was because the hard drive could not be detected due to the drivers. Hopefully this will help you.

Originally, my P4 system was going to have RAID but the MOBO was faulty and I changed it for a non RAID variety. Thanks for the help anyway. I may just back up my files & reinstall 2K though!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back