"unlockin" cable

• Thread starter dArK_CyAnIdE
  • Start date
D

dArK_CyAnIdE

is there a way to "unlock " a ridiculous upload speed????
my videotron cable modem is locked @ 15k!!!!

plz HELP :confused: :confused: :confused:

From what I've read No...

While you could theoreticall make the changes there still limited by the Ip and the "tweaks" needed to do it would require a reboot, which would reset the settings anyway... something like that...

http://www.speedguide.net

Sorry, upload caps are controlled at the cable company's head end servers. You can't uncap cable modem

JJB6486

That's what I meant to say...

You sure do be doing some good talkin there JJB6486...

What does that mean?!?

I just got the idea for a new thread...

Cable modem upload speed is capped at 128 Kbps, which means you can not upload faster than that. That speed is capped at the cable company, which means it is not capped in your cable modem next to your computer, it is capped at the other end of the line.
/L.A

Note that any software claiming to uncap your speed is probably a trojan horse or virus.

It seems I lied. Check out the front-page article:

How To UnCap Cable Modems
Posted by waddy on Tuesday, March 26 @ 19:30:01 GMT

narwing write :

THIS CAN TEACH YOU HOW TO UNCAP YOUR CABLE MODEM

You can now succesfully uncap your cable service.

Even though on many sites(dslreports.com,speedguide.net...etc)have said that this was impossible because the cap is given by the server and not found on the modem.They were proven wrong in one point it is POSSIBLE.I for one , are an example i have succesufly been uncapped took me 20 minutes.

Visit this site for instructions; (even though it says surf board modems, it has been succefully been used for shark fin modems and more, i think UK cable modems are not uncapable yet , but they are working on cracking the md5 encryption)

grear.gif
Guide : Surfboardhack.com

warning.gif
We do not condone the above in anyway. Makes interesting reading though.

it's legit

the expliot was first posted on bugtrac, which very carefully screens for only valid exploits and I've since read about it on zdnet and other newsworthy sites (not that this one isn't :)

Cable modems can be uncapped...and when your provider sees that your config does not match theirs your service will be terminated.

You can only uncap 3com sharkfin's and Motorola Surfboards.

Blah, Blah, Blah

I always browse here, but never post... until now :)

It works, and you don't always get caught( I know many running this hack, and NONE have been caught).

Please note: The front page of www.surfboardhack.com has a list at the bottom of the page going over each isp and whether or not they check. Check out what it says about your isp and take it from there.

Dont be a wussy... If for some reason they do catch you just
PLAY DUMB!!! Seriously... "I don't know what you're talking about", and when they check your modem just say "My damn cousin must've messed with it or something... could you please fix it for me?" They arent gonna can you if they don't think you did anything.

Just dont be a jerk and uncap to 1.5 or anything... the bandwidth is shared after all. If you uncap your ul to 384 nobody is gonna notice, in fact 99% of the other users prob only surf the net and check e-mails anyways.

does this work for a Toshiba cable modem with Road Runner service in NYC?

uhh, is it me or surfboardhack.com is down? if this is permanent, then does anyone have a cached version?:confused:

Re: Blah, Blah, Blah

Dont be a wussy... If for some reason they do catch you just
PLAY DUMB!!! Seriously... "I don't know what you're talking about", and when they check your modem just say "My damn cousin must've messed with it or something... could you please fix it for me?" They arent gonna can you if they don't think you did anything.

This is the most assinine comment i've ever seen. You just encouraged people to not be a wussy and break the law then play dumb about it. IT IS THEFT OF SERVICE..A CRIMINAL OFFENSE. Playing dumb does not stop them from banning your account etc.. surfboardhack does not know what isp's scan and such until after people are banned. So if you wanna risk it fine...go ahead just remember when the modem poller does it's SNMP check and your config file don't match get ready to do some explaning

And for the record playing dumb doesn't work..ATTBI, Comcast, and NTL have banned people no questions ask (and why would they ask questions, you were stealing from them)

I'm not trying to be high and mighty, but don't lull people into some false sense that if your friends haven't been caught, that they won't be.

And this only works on 3com, terayon, surfboard because they deviated from docsis spec

Probably not a smart thing to do unless you have plenty of high speed isp's around your area.

I know I wouldn't want to lose my high speed connection!

Well as an Admin for Charter...

Everyone of my tech’s knows that if we find a HSD modem that has been hacked, you TDC the account (That’s “Total Disconnect”) no questions asked. I have even had an employee who uncapped their own modem… Was fired the next day.

Why?

It’s cost related. See you may uncap your modem to say 5 megabit/sec. When you do that, we see a spike in our bandwidth usage. Trust me, we will notice there is a spike. I look at my graphs at least 10 times a day. Now, we are going to top out sooner, and need to buy bandwidth sooner. Yet… We have not added the customers to support the cost of the larger pipe…

So for me it is a no brainer. Sure I loose your 39.95 a month (As low as 19.95 here for 128k) Cry me a river. I save my company 1000’s by canning your butt, and never looking back. Further, I don’t get the slow down from unexpectedly topping out…

Sure, I’m a company man, and I would suggest to you not doing it. You only screw yourself in the end. Even if your not caught… Prices to the customer WILL go up as a result, due to the increased bandwidth usage, with no increase in income.

Last thing. Bandwidth is not free to your ISP. It is a massive cost a year. We have redundant lines incase of an outage, which our customers love, and our accountants have ulcers over. So 20 uncapped modems on our system costs us double. Also, I hate to tell you, but companies are out to make a profit. And it benefits you for them to do so. Otherwise you would have NO high speed Internet at all. Fiber is expensive and all.

Silva

Noone has a good legitimate reason to uncap further anyway.
This Broadband is overkill for almost everyone already.

Keep in mind this only works with Motorola Surfboards, which, at least with my ISP in my area, haven't been used since cable i-net was one-way. And "playing dumb" does NOT work with tech support folk. They KNOW what you did, and the only reason they might just say f*** it is if they don't want to go through the hassles of correcting what you did =)
/Lactic

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back