UNKNOWN partition after format

odivane

n00b
I hope u guys can help,

My friends got 3 hard drives, one on FAT32 where windows is installed, other 2 are NTFS. After a format windows wont recognize one of the partitions/hard drives it says partition uknown. SO if u know of any programs that can access data from that partition or how to fix the problem if possible pls help. Thx in advance :)

How about booting into Knoppix (Linux distro) and seeign what you can find from there? At least to verify it exists?

You did say after "format" - is that what you meant? Because if you formatted HD then all partition data is lost anyway, no?

does the partition show up in my computer? If so if it has nothing on the partition try formatting it.

well like I said he has 3 hdds, one is FAT32 windows is on that one, other 2 are NTFS and one of them can be recognized, the otherone is marked as UNKNOWN partition.

After format yes, he formated FAT32 one, where windows is installed.

Unless he formatted the 2nd ntfs drive by mistake the data is still there and you should be able to connect the drive to another computer and make a copy regardless of what is hosed with your buddies setup. Try putting the HD in another comp and making a backup before messing with anything.

Did he have the NTFS drive passworded? If so he might have lost the keys when he reformatted his Windows drive. That is a very bad thing. I don't think you can get the daat back if keys are lost.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back