Unknown cd/dvd rom drives

theevilsithlord

Hail to the King, Baby!
i was reading the other thread on nforce2 mobo, and i decided to look at my device manager, and i saw my cdrom and dvd rom drives were under "Unknown" they still work fine, but im just wondering why. btw i have an nforce2 mobo with the latest drivers.

ROFLMAO. That is so freaky.

The rule goes like this:
If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it.

I'd leave it alone as long as its performing ok. Cd Rom divers are generic now and the DVD drivers must be working or you wouldn't be able to use the DVD.

yeah, that is weird. do us a favor and expand your "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and show us what it shows.

and ther is reason to fix it. you could be losing a good amount of performance and integrity when trying to read or write a cd. what nforce drivers did you last install?

that's still weird because it looks like it's installed correctly from there. but reinstall the ide driver manually anyway. right-click on the 'nvidia nforce2 ide controller' and do 'update driver...'. point it to C:\NVIDIA\nForceWin2KXP\3.13\IDE\WinXP and restart once it's done. then check your device manager again and see if your optical drives are picked up normally.

try uninstalling your two optical drives. let windows pick them back up and see if they're recognized correctly.

"can only burn at 4x now"

I feel obligated for an i told you so...

Snickers, and slinks away.

PS Me thinks windows repair is in order now.

Load the cd, ignore the first option to repair. Tell it to do a clean install. Then when it comes back and asks if you want to repair tell it yes.

is there any way to remove JUST the nvidia sw ide driver and revert back to the windows ide drivers? When i uninstall the nvidia ones, windows reboots, but finds nvidia ones. I think this is the problem.

yes uninstall the nvidia ide drivers,boot to safe mode and use driver cleaner,then boot normally should clear it up for u

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back