Unknow CPU type

H

Halsted

Hello,

I've recently upgraded my Athlon XP system to a faster processor. I was using an XP 1700, now I've upgraded to an XP 2100. I'm using an Abit KG7-RAID board. When I boot, the bios will not detect the CPU as a XP2100, instead it gives the Mghz(1.73). It used to indicate the cpu as XP1700, but it won't do that for my XP2100. Also, Windows XP will not indicate the cpu brand either, it too gives just the Mghz and says, "unknown cpu type". I've changed various settings in the bios and I've upgraded it as per Abit, to no avail. The system seems to be running correctly, I'm just baffled as to why it's doing this.

Thanks for any input,

John

If you upgraded your bios to the newest availible and it's not picking it up I'd have to write it off as a bug in the bios. If the FSB and multiplier is correct, and your displayed speed is correct then thats all to really worry about.

Out of curiosity does it detect it if you use a program like WCPUid? But all in all i'm willing to say bios bug

Well be thankful that it gives you the correct speed of the processor...Sometimes processors dyes or threads may become flooded or over run each other, although the procosser will still work you may not be able to read it correctly or at least the way you want to see it...Also trying calling up ABIT tech support and ask them why it may not be working like the other guys suggested...Processors are fun until you burn them out! haha, 4 processors burnt in my day and one XP1800!

Hey guys,

Thanks for the suggestions...I've done everything you suggested and I'm thinking it's a bug in the bios, too. I got a chuckle about calling Abit, though. When I first got the board I called Abit about a lockup problem. It took me about 30 minutes on hold before I reached anyone, and then when I did get ahold of the right person they couldn't solve my problem...blaming Windows XP. It ended up being a memory voltage problem. It took me about a month to figure that out with my own troubleshooting.

Thanks,

John

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back