Uninstalling Messenger

• Thread starter FesteringGob
  • Start date
F

FesteringGob

I am wondering if there is something wrong, or am I just a noob. It has the following in the Tweak section:

Navigate to C:windowsinf
Open sysoc.inf
find msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7

I cannot find windowsinf.
Can anyone please tell me how to find this or where to look. I have no productive searches.
Thanks

Here you go taken from the homepage of this forum... the url is at the bottem aswell :)

Microsoft has tried really hard to prevent you from uninstalling windows messenger. They failed to make it difficult enough because with the directions below you can get rid of messenger very easily.
Navigate to C:windowsinf
Open sysoc.inf
find msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7 in the file and take out the word hide so the line would look like msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7
Close the file and save it
Now go to the Add and remove programs applet in the control panel and you will be able to uninstall windows messenger.
Make sure to click on the add remove windows components button.
Note: You will be able to uninstall other unneeded programs by removing hide from the sysoc.inf

http://www.xp-erience.org/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=14#mess

the inf folder is a hidden system folder. Open Windows Explorer> Tools> Folder Options. Unhide it and follow the instructions. It's advisable to live with Messenger though. It's really got it's hook in a lot of things, especially Outlook Express, and it can affect your performance a lot.

Thank you both for the fast response

Ok. You say to leave it there, but is there a way to turn it off. I do not like it starting up when I start the computer. It also will turn itself on when I open other programs. Am I getting too picky? Or is there a way to do it?

Thanks a million

Ok. You say to leave it there, but is there a way to turn it off. I do not like it starting up when I start the computer. It also will turn itself on when I open other programs. Am I getting too picky? Or is there a way to do it?
Yeah, you can turn off a few of these automatic functions. Open Messenger, Tools> Options> 'preferences' tab. Untick the first two options to stop it from starting with windows and to close it all the way out when you close it, instead of just minimizing it to the tray. Next, Open Outlook Express, Tools> Options> 'general' tab. The 4th option down untick the option "Automatically log onto windows messenger." It will still start with OE, but it will sit in the tray without logging on and it will close when you close OE. In effect, the only time you should now see Messenger is in the tray with a red 'x' on it when you use Outlook Express.

I don't think it opens with other programs unless you're using the MSN Explorer. If you are then look in the properties somewhere to turn messenger off (don't know if you can - I don't use MSN Explorer myself).

Hope that helps.

If you are having problems find that, it is probably because you have it to where it doesnt show files it deems important.

Past this into Winows Explorer to get you right where you want to go: C:\WINDOWS\inf\sysoc.inf

paste this in the run command

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

It will remove it from your system completely. If you want to get messenger again, you have to download it again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back