Uninstalling BootXP......Help!

E

Eve

Does anyone here know how to uninstall BootXP? I have version 1.9 RC2. There is no option to remove it in add/remove programs. I cannot find any uninstall program for it, or install for that matter on my computer. I have never actually used it as I could only find crap boot screens. Now I'm trying to install Win XP SP1 from Windows Update and it keeps telling me that the kernal has been changed and to uninstall BootXP as this is causing the problem. See here for details: Q327101

TIA for your help.:D

On the desktop, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
Under System Startup, click Edit.

The Boot.ini file opens in Notepad.
Locate and then delete the /KERNEL= switch.
Save and then close the Boot.ini file.
Restart your computer.

...it was on the microsoft site...

Thanks Benny, but I've already done that. I got a little farther in the installation of SP1 but then it tells me that installation can not continue and shuts it off again.

Are you using a legit (legal) version of xp?
if not you need to change your xp serial....
to a "working" one...

inside boot xp should be the option to unistall or restore original boot.ini

Try getting a new version of bootxp & install it into the same folder as the old version. You should be able to remove it then through add/remove. Once done make the necessary changes to the booy.ini file.

From memory after I had done the add/remove thing I still had to physically delete the folder.

Benny: yes it's legit, it's on my work computer so it would have to be.

Khayman: I've already done that, still doesn't work.

Hipster: Ok, will try that and let you know.

Thanks Guys! :)

Ok guys, slight problem. I have tried unsuccessfully to download BootXP from numerous different websites and each time the download does not start. There must be a problem with their download section. I have even tried to got to bootxp.net but I get a cannot find server message. Does anyone have a copy of this that they could give me? Please! I presume this is not against forum rules as it is shareware and I would not have to cough up for it anyway as I just plan it install it so I can uninstall it. If it is against the rules then I am sorry, and I did not intend to offend anyone. Thanks again guys for all your help.

I just went to bootxp & started a download no problem. Stupid internet. Go figure. It is a bit over 1mb.
Anyway instead of trying that why don't you empty your recycle bin, then put the bootxp folder in it just in case, replace your boot.ini with the original, reboot & see what happens.

Ok Hipster, but before I do I want to check if my boot.ini is back to normal. Is this what it is supposed to say:

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

*fingers crossed*

uhhh ohhh.... she (sorry if she is wrong) hasn't come back yet!

/me wiping sweat from brow.

And it's freezing over here. Brass monkey weather.

nope, still won't work. I get as far as the setup box and click agree then when I get to the part where it asks if you want to archive your files and click yes is stops and an error box comes up with SP1 installation can not continue or something like that in it. Damn it! :mad: I have tried again to download a newer version of bootxp, but same problem as yesterday, can't get into the site or download it from another site. Hipster, seeing as you were able to start d/ling it yesterday could you possibly d/l it and then e-mail it to me, if it's not too much trouble? If it is, or you don't want strangers knowing your e-mail address I totally understand. Thanks again.

Should have asked this in the pm. Anyway...............what happens when you boot into xp? What screen do you see? The original or another one?

the original, but it was always the original. I never changed it cause I never found one it liked.

I don't think that is your problem then. Have you changed the logon screen? If not something else must be going on. Installing bootxp then removing it will have no effect.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back