Uninstall problems

N

npfanz

I have Commandos 2 installed and eating up 2 gigs of my hd (I don't think this post should be in games, though, it has nothing to do with the game itself).

I desperately want to uninstall the game to free up space, but when I go into add/remove programs it lists the program as only occupying .79 mb, and when I go to change/remove (or uninstall from either the install cd or program files menu) my only option is to install the game. When I try to 'remove,' the process takes less than a second and I get confirmation that the selected components have been removed. It's still there, though! I want to get rid of it, not install a second incarnation of it!!!!

As far as I can tell my only option is to delete the entire game folder. I don't like when my add/remove programs list is populated with components that are manually removed, though. I have not had to do this with windows xp yet, but it looks like I have no other choice.

I don't know that much about install/uninstall. If I simply delete the game folder will I be removing everything, or does an install place files in other places as well (and if so how can I find and nuke those?). And if I just delete that folder, how can I get control panel to realize that I uninstalled the program?

Obviously I would love it if someone knew why I am unable to uninstall, but it seems I'm just screwed on that front. Any help that can be offered on my problem at all would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

I hate doing that too... But sometimes its necessary...

Try installing the program then uninstalling if you have'nt yet...

If that does'nt work then delete the folder then do a registry search for the program name and remove all entries...

If you have a registry program you trust then use it... The only one I trust is System Mechanic...

Thanks for the help. I did try to reinstall the game earlier. Very strange, it reinstalled but not over the original files. I haven't the slightest idea where it installed to because it chose dir, etc automatically, but i had 2 less gigs free after the reinstall. Uninstalling after that brought me back to where I was before, so something about my first installation must be majorly wrong. I just deleted the source files and got rid of anything in the registry resembling that program. Seems to work! Maybe not the best way to do it but I appreciate the extra space!

Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back