Uninstall problems in Vista

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
A friend gave me her system to clean up. I got the spyware off but I can't remove anything else in Vista. You'll see in the picture I have one of the many many many NIS installs highlighted but there is no option to remove the thing. The same happens for any of the other programs listed in Add/remove .. oh excuse me.... "Programs and features". If I browse to the Norton folder there is no uninstaller program there either. It's just expired trial ware and I'd love to get this crap off but short of reformatting I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Attachments

• vista.jpg
    vista.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 133
Symantec has a remover on their website ...need to look around a bit ... If I find mine I will let you know

I'm searching their site. All I've found so far is instructions to remove it using the control panel. Oh god how I hate norton. And vista for that matter.

First of all are you logged in as an administrator? Second is this only happening with norton programs?

There is only the one account and it has full admin privileges. I thought it was happening on everything but I was actually able to get Zango to uninstall from the control panel, everything else has no uninstall option. Oddly enough I guess that means that only known spyware apps can be removed using the control panel.

Well that got rid of Norton. The system is much faster now, many thanks and reps. Now if anyone could figure out why I still can't uninstall the other programs (like yahoo and live toolbars) I'd be grateful. In the case of the live toolbar there is an UnInstall.exe in the directory but running it does nothing, which is a little strange.

I had this problem on a Vista laptop I was working on. It has something to do with the program being installed with an old version of the Windows Installer. I believe there are only two workarounds, find the uninstall string in the registry for the offending program and run it or reinstall and uninstall the program IIRC.

I had this problem on a Vista laptop I was working on. It has something to do with the program being installed with an old version of the Windows Installer. I believe there are only two workarounds, find the uninstall string in the registry for the offending program and run it or reinstall and uninstall the program IIRC.

If those are the only two solutions I choose neither. It's not that I'm lazy ... Well it's partly that. It's mainly the fact that reinstalling and then removing all 50 of her programs isn't my idea of a good time, nor is searching the registry. I got rid what I want to, I guess thats what I'll have to settle for.

You cant right click and uninstall?

Nope, Bad Vista, bad.

Just taking a look at that screenshot, you should remove Acrobat Reader 7 and install 8.1. You should also remove the old versions of Java and leave just the latest version.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back