Unattended Install Issues

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

This is going to be the thread where I am asking my Unattended Install questions. I've looked through all of the guides and have not come to find the answers to the questions I was looking for, so hopefully you guys can come through for me [as always].

1) When I ran it, the first thing I noticed is that it wanted me to login as the Administrator... The issue I am having with this, is that I want to have a default user with no password there, but at the same time have my own administrator password set in the background. It's a safety precaution I use, if someone has a computer and screws it up, I'll still be able to get in using Adminstrator password... Any ideas?
***INCOMPLETE***

2) When Windows first loaded, for some reason [I wasn't expecting this to happen at all], Windows loaded the Classic toolbar instead of the "XP Blue" version... I don't remember any settings at ALL in the Answer File that I specified it to be this way... why would that have occured?
***INCOMPLETE***

3) I'm a Sound Whore... I don't use custom sounds, but one of the first things I do in Windows is always create my same default sound scheme, b/c for some reason Windows doesn't associate any sounds to minimizing, maximizing, etc... Is there a way that I can have it setup my own sound scheme, by default right off of the bat?

4) "Take a Tour of Windows XP" popped up on the bottom right hand corner of the taskbar... Those things bug me. :) I normally have to use TweakUI for XP in order to get rid of it. I thought I saw an option in the Answer Wizard regarding that, and I'm pretty sure I disabled it... but it still came up... Now, is there really something in the answer file regarding that, or is there a way I can just make it not come up period?

5) One thing about Slipstreaming / Unattended is the ease of use for the person installing the disk, right? This includes preventing them from have to run a Windows update right off the bat still downloading those extra "components", security patches, etc... Is there a way to slipstream, or at least install all of the Windows Update Components, from Security Updates, all the way down to DirectX B9 and WMP???

So far those are the only questions I have. :)

One thing about that a1ehouse, regarding the default user... Is it possible to have a Default user named "Default"? If I am installing these on different computers, I want to have something that isn't "name specific", whether it be a friend, relative, etc... I mean I know I could always change this once I install... but the main goal of it is to make it so that the people installing the OS will not have to do ANY kind of interaction, including changing their name...

If you create a folder \$OEM$\$1\install you can run/install apps/add registry tweaks/install drivers using batch/command files. You can add user accounts under the [UserAccounts] in the winnt.sif file although I think there is always a default administrator account automatically set up. You can do a lot of other funky stuff (change default user paths/program file paths etc). The deploy.chm, ref.chm and setupmgr.chm have a wealth of info.

Originally posted by Punkrulz
Hey guys,

This is going to be the thread where I am asking my Unattended Install questions. I've looked through all of the guides and have not come to find the answers to the questions I was looking for, so hopefully you guys can come through for me [as always].

1) When I ran it, the first thing I noticed is that it wanted me to login as the Administrator... The issue I am having with this, is that I want to have a default user with no password there, but at the same time have my own administrator password set in the background. It's a safety precaution I use, if someone has a computer and screws it up, I'll still be able to get in using Adminstrator password... Any ideas?

already got that one...

2) When Windows first loaded, for some reason [I wasn't expecting this to happen at all], Windows loaded the Classic toolbar instead of the "XP Blue" version... I don't remember any settings at ALL in the Answer File that I specified it to be this way... why would that have occured?

that always happens in the builtin Administrator account, that will be resolved when you create another account. :)

3) I'm a Sound Whore... I don't use custom sounds, but one of the first things I do in Windows is always create my same default sound scheme, b/c for some reason Windows doesn't associate any sounds to minimizing, maximizing, etc... Is there a way that I can have it setup my own sound scheme, by default right off of the bat?

Export (from the registry) HKCU\AppEvents\Schemes
to a reg file.

4) "Take a Tour of Windows XP" popped up on the bottom right hand corner of the taskbar... Those things bug me. :) I normally have to use TweakUI for XP in order to get rid of it. I thought I saw an option in the Answer Wizard regarding that, and I'm pretty sure I disabled it... but it still came up... Now, is there really something in the answer file regarding that, or is there a way I can just make it not come up period?

reg file attached.

5) One thing about Slipstreaming / Unattended is the ease of use for the person installing the disk, right? This includes preventing them from have to run a Windows update right off the bat still downloading those extra "components", security patches, etc... Is there a way to slipstream, or at least install all of the Windows Update Components, from Security Updates, all the way down to DirectX B9 and WMP???

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=123890

So far those are the only questions I have. :)

there is a way to have all this done DURING setup (in the last 13 minutes) and that's the best time to do these...

for more information on that...check out the link a1ehouse gave.

Yeah, I've been meaning to edit my original post as I went along. :) Sorry. Already have taken care of the additional user thing regarding the administrator, already went ahead, created the necessary files... that portion of my help is done.

Regarding the bar, that's anther thing I am going to have to test right off the bat... due to the fact that if you take care of the Administrator Login issue, you therefore take care of the classic task bar...

Ok cpu, so that's basically another entire guide on how to Slipstream and make an Unattended Install for XP? Is there anything about it that differs from the guide I've been reading? What does AutoPatcher XP do that's different?

The only reason I'm really really ... well, cautious, is because I've already learned one way of doing this... a way that comes easy to me... I'd hate to have to go through and work on learning another way, so if you can just fill me in. :)

it's essentially the same thing...

there's only a few things that need to be added to a normal unattended install to make it work...

i'll write an abridged version that will tell you how to add it to yours in a bit.

Thanks buddy, I really appreciate it and I am REALLY looking forward to it! :)

Extract AutoPatcher XP...

you should have a folder called "AutoPatcher XP" and the autorun stuff...

delete the autorun stuff, and keep the folder.

create a folder on your CD called $OEM$ and another folder within that one called $1. Move the Autopatcher XP folder and rename it to "AutopatcherXP" (no space...just causes problems.)

in the autopatcher folder, run autopatcher.exe and pick what you would like to install, and click the "set defaults" button. then you can exit.

now, go up a directory to the $1 folder, and create a file called "install.cmd"

open it with notepad, and paste these contents:

Code:
@ECHO OFF
TITLE Running Autopatcher XP
ECHO @ECHO OFF > "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\cleanup.bat"
ECHO TITLE Cleaning up Temp Files>> "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\cleanup.bat"
ECHO ECHO Cleaning up Temp Files...>> "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\cleanup.bat"
ECHO DEL /Q "%systemdrive%\install.cmd">> "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\cleanup.bat"
ECHO DEL /Q "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\cleanup.bat">> "%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\cleanup.bat"
ECHO Running Autopatcher XP...
start /wait %systemdrive%\AutoPatcherXP\autopatcher.exe /noeula /unattend
ECHO Finished!
EXIT

now in winnt.sif...

make sure OemPreinstall=Yes

and add this at the end:

[GuiRunOnce]
"%systemdrive%\install.cmd"

So let me get this straight... Auto patcher is a file that basically instead of having to run Windows update, the program will automatically go ahead and run itself, automatically download the updates and apply them without user interaction? Only issue I'm predicting is that this will only work with computers hooked up through Cable / DSL / LAN, right?

So let me get this straight... Auto patcher is a file that basically instead of having to run Windows update, the program will automatically go ahead and run itself, automatically download the updates and apply them without user interaction? Only issue I'm predicting is that this will only work with computers hooked up through Cable / DSL / LAN, right?
actually, Autopatcher XP already HAS all the updates! you only have to download it once.

good luck finding a mirror though, it seems they're always down.

it's 202 MB, i can send it to you if you like...but my upload is only 128 kbps

UPDATES

Some more issues... I went through and did everything regarding having the other user setup, as well as default login...

1) It created the other user, but did not default login...
2) It still diverted me back to the Classic Theme...
3) I can't install AutoPatchXP because there simply is not enough room on the disk. Any ideas?

Originally I had automatically gone and forgot to change the registry file when I changed the username... I had corrected that issue, and reburned the CD, and it still does not auto. log me in... any other ideas?

Why is this post so <------- W I D E -------->?

UPDATES

Some more issues... I went through and did everything regarding having the other user setup, as well as default login...

1) It created the other user, but did not default login...
2) It still diverted me back to the Classic Theme...
3) I can't install AutoPatchXP because there simply is not enough room on the disk. Any ideas?

1) post your reg file
2) try adding this to your winnt.sif:
Code:
[Shell]
    DefaultThemesOff = Yes
3) you can safely remove these folders from the XPCD:

DOCS
Support
ValueAdd
i386\win9xmig
i386\win9xupg
i386\winntupg

and if you're english, you can delete everything in i386\lang (but leave the folder)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back