Unable to Rename DivX Files

J

JayCool

While I am in the middle of downloading a 700MB DivX file, and I try to rename it partway through so that I can resume it, I get a message telling me that the file is in use, when I feel that it actually isn't. I am not sharing the root folder that the file is in, and when I right-click on the file to view its properties, it takes about 2 minutes to spit out the file information! Than surprisingly after I have done so, I am able to rename the file!?!? I think that there was some news announcement about this problem, but I guess I didn't understand the directions(?) to fix this problem. (I already removed the 'view file type' information from the folder view in 'Details mode'.)

just goto your run prompt

type cmd

goto the directory that your movies are in and say the movie name is test

you can just type ren test.avi mymovie.avi

that would rename the movie and keep it in the same dir :)

... when I right-click on the file to view its properties, it takes about 2 minutes to spit out the file information!...

Not sure if this helps, but i found this somewhere on one of the tweak sites (maybe this one hehe)...

Well windows seem to have a REALLY big problem when it comes to reading AVI files. It seems that when you click on an AVI file in explorer, it'll try to read the entire AVI file to determine the width,height, etc. of the AVI file (this is displayed in the Properties window). Now the problem with Windows is that if you have a broken/not fully downloaded AVI file that doesnt contain this info, Windows will scan the entire AVI file trying to figure out all these properties which in the process will probably cause 100% CPU usage and heavy memory usage.

To solve this problem all you have to do is the following:

1. Open up regedit
2. Goto HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\.avi\shellex\PropertyHandler
3. Delete the "Default" value which should be "{87D62D94-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}"

Voila! Please note that this will no longer provide you with the windows properties displaying the AVI file information such as width, height, bitrate etc. But its a small price to pay for saving you resources.

Hope this helps

Thanks HipHop

I had similar problem with an avi file. I couldn't delete it. Your tip did the trick. Thanks.

I get it from time to time. I think it's to do with explorer reading movie info.

Trying again a couple of times works. *shrugs*

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back