Unable to Hibernate

L

Ling

Sony VAIO PCG-GRX316MP, XP Pro
I used to be able to hibernate, but now I cannot. Unfortunately I can't think of anything that I changed at the time that would cause it to stop aside from low disk space - I completely ran out of it so all the system restore points prior to it vanishing also dissapeared. Oh and somewhere around that point I was messing around with the various system services I could disable - however since then I have had a thorough look at all of them and enabled anything I could think might be hindering it.

Looking in Control Panel/Power Option there is no longer a Hibernate tab, there is no hiberfil.sys, however in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power the Heuristics key is there, which M$ say only exists when hibernate is enabled... this seems a little confusing to me.

Does anyone have any idea about how to maually enable hibernate? Or how to force XP to try and hibernate?

I could probably obtain a hiberfil.sys from someone else, the problem is it would be from a completely different machine (same OS though) and I'm guessing that wouldn't be too healthy.

I can standby as normal.

Ref:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=293399 (win2k)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255182 (win2k)

[edit]: hello people! This site got a good (if rather brief) review in this months PCFormat (UK)

there are two things that hibernation support is dependant on.
1) Proper Graphics Drivers
2) WDM audio drivers

if you have XP then chances are the second is fulfilled. The First one should be OK if it has done it before

Have you installed any new hardware/software or anything to or on the laptop?

If you goto Start>Shutdown then press the Left Shift button does Standby change to Hibernate?

How much free hard drive space is there on the laptop?

YOU CANT HIBERNATE NOW ITS NEARLY SUMMER...

BUT USUALLY GO CONTROL PANEL > POWER OPTIONS> HIBERNATE TAB> ENABLE HIBERNATION :) MAY WORK

yeh noticed it ive had it on for days... i turned it off after posting it

them so many people arhaving problems with the cpaslock key i bet it is a conspiracy of bill gates...

lol

Ling you might want to post again before the thread gets Hijacked :p

im not hijacking this thread, sure it can stay ontopic. *sboulema control yourself*

ling you also need enough hdd space to hibernate, you need the amount of ram free on your hdd

*see i can be serious*

Hey, thanks for the replies.
I have plenty of HD space on any and all of the partitions/hds XP might care to choose. There is no hibernate tab available in power options, this means that XP thinks my machine doesnt support it / can't for some other reason. Shift shutdown obviously does nothing as the tab isnt there in power options.

its all defragged and stuff

is there a hidden file on your PC called hiberfil.sys? Or any other files called hib*.*

No, unfortunately that has dissappeared.
I could obtain another one from someone else, however they have a different machine to me so it probably would mess things up

(thinking about MSKB article on forcing hibernate to work on automatic install of XP - they said just put hiberfil.sys and the heuristics key in the registry...)

Try installing XP again. I've been helping about 6 people that are having the same problem. Somebody on here said hold leftctrl down, well hold right down and press enter. Also, this is probably redundant, since I'm sure you've done it , but, Right click desktp. Screensavers, see if it has APM. If it is checked, uncheck it. Try it. Check it. Try it again. It took about 4 times for mine to finally take hold. Good luck. Peace Hippie........ P.s. you could possibly use restore, although I think it's useless. There is a thing called GoBack. I haven't heard an "IT" person say it was good yet. I have hade it on my computer for approximatley 4 year. It tells you what is going on every second, not once a day like restore. I lost 6 GB's of files by accident. Hit goBack, and there they were. You think about it and decide. I've been working on computers for around 30 years. Never went to school. I have "genius's" tell me it was junk. I think it's the easiest, best thing out there. Once again. Peace. Good Luck. Hippie

By the way. you said you didn't have hiberfil.sys. GoBack will let you restore that one file. By the way, I do not work for GoBack. Peace. And Luck. Hippie

If I remember correctly, there used to be a file called nohiber.txt that was created if hibernation failed in Windows ME (yeah I know...long time ago)

I'm not sure if it still works, but try doing a search for it on your hard disk. It's supposed to contain the reason for disabled hibernation.

Hey, sounds promising, I'll have a look for that file. I really really dont want to reinstall XP, due to the number of programs I have installed and more importantly, how they are all nicely set up to my preferences.

unfortunately nohiber.txt (or indeed any file with hiber / hib in its name) is not to be found anywhere

Originally posted by NetRyder
If I remember correctly, there used to be a file called nohiber.txt that was created if hibernation failed in Windows ME (yeah I know...long time ago)

I'm not sure if it still works, but try doing a search for it on your hard disk. It's supposed to contain the reason for disabled hibernation.

Good memory NetRyder, but I don't think XP does that. The loss of hib is usually due to hardware that doesn't support it.

Why do you want hibernation so bad, it causes problems, just set your monitor to turn off after a certain period of time and be done with it :)

Its never caused me any problems until it dissapeared.
As its a laptop hibernate or shutdown is the only option for anything long term (eg overnight) and hibernate is just so much quicker than rebooting - not only in start up time but all the programs that you dont have to reload / documents to reopen etc. Also means that you dont tend to forget what you were doing last time you turned it off.

Again - hibernate used to be working, so its no hardware problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back