Unable to connect to WPA Wireless Network

mochan28

OSNN Junior Addict
Hi

I am having the same event problems but for a different situation.

I installed an optional windows update for my Intel Pro/Wireless 3945 ABG wireless laptop card and after i was unable to connect to my school's wpa secured wireless network. The VPN was also deleted and isn't reinstalling. I am using Windows Vista Home Premium

I took my computer to the IT department and they tried to reinstall the network connection but couldn't access the PEAP settings, and got an error that the module cannot be found. I checked the event viewer and have the following errors:

Event ID: 20063
Source: RasMan
Error: Remote Access Connection Manager failed to start because the Point to Point Protocol failed to initialize. The specified module could not be found.

Event ID: 20151
Source: RemoteAccess
Error: The Control Protocol EAP in the Point to Point Protocol module C:\Windows\System32\rasppp.dll returned an error while initializing. The specified module could not be found.

Event ID: 20070
Source: RemoteAccess
Point to Point Protocol engine was unable to load the C:\Windows\system32\sw2_ttls.dll module. The specified module could not be found.

Event ID: 7023
Source: Service Control Manager
Error: The Remote Access Connection Manager service terminated with the following error:
The specified module could not be found.

Event ID: 7036
Source: Service Control Manager
Error: The Remote Access Connection Manager service entered the stopped state.

How do I proceed to fix my issue? I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers from the Dell website but nothing has worked. we have also rolled back the drivers but now I see that it isn't a driver issue.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Fitz

I did indeed go into regedit to find those registry keys but am confused as to whether i have them or not in the list. I have thus taken screen caps, the first being from the Rasman --> PPP --> EAP ---> 13 folder and the second from the EAP ---> 25 folder

Thanks

Last edited:
haha i'm such a noob i am supposed to delete the entire file aren't I?
what is the procedure for backing them up before deleting them in case they are needed registry folders?

mochan

haha i'm such a noob i am supposed to delete the entire file aren't I?
what is the procedure for backing them up before deleting them in case they are needed registry folders?

mochan

yeah.. madmatt might have explained it a little better, but you do delete the entire tree.

As for saving.. right-click on the key and select export

deleting the 2 registry trees completely wiped out wireless connectivity, even to the unsecured wireless connection at school that i can connect to with the problems i have discussed above. However, reinstating the registry trees restored connectivity to the unsecured network but not to the WPA-Enterprise TKIP PEAP connection

what else can i try besides repairing the vista installation?

just as an aside, i used system restore to restore my computer back to before i installed the optional windows update for my wireless card, and this did not fix the solution either ....

This may help to diagnose where exactly the error is happening when i try to connect... it's the event log for the failed connection attempt. the event ID is 6100. i've wiped out the name of the connection

Helper Class (L2Sec Helper Class) Event:

For complete information about this session see the Wireless Diagnostic Informational Event.

Helper Class: Layer2 Security
Initialize Status: Success

Result of diagnosis: Problem found
Issue referred to: EAP Helper Class

Root cause:
Windows cannot connect to "_________"
Wireless authentication failed.

Detailed root cause:
EAP failed
Workaround for hypothesis: Contact the network administrator for "_______"

Information for connection being diagnosed
Interface GUID: {fae7aa24-f47f-4393-bbc1-bad5f9c6c36f}
Interface name: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
Interface type: Native WiFi
Profile: Discovery connection
SSID: _____________
SSID length: 13
Connection mode: Infra
Security enabled: Yes
Connection ID: 4
Security settings provided by hardware manufacturer (IHV): No
Profile matches network requirements: Yes
Pre-Association and association status: Success
Security and Authentication:
Configured security type: Robust Secure Network (RSN / WPA2) with 802.1X
Configured Encryption type: CCMP (AES)
Security connect status: Fail 0x00050005
Number of security packets received: 1
Number of security packets sent: 1
802.1X protocol: Yes
Authentication Identity: Invalid
IAS Server engaged: No
EAP Method supported by IAS Server: Unknown
EAP type: 25
EAP Error: 0x00000057
Number of 802.1X restarts: 0
Number of 802.1X failures: 1
802.1X status: Fail 0x00050005
Key exchange initiated: No
Unicast keys received: No
Multicast keys received: No

Event Verbosity:0

hey madmatt

killed it completely. not only was i not able to connect, but i was not able to manually create a wireless network using the Network and sharing center.

I am using Symantec Antivirus corporate version 10.2.0.276 but the wireless worked concurrently with the antivirus until I installed the optional update from windows.

as for the windows update you suggested, I'm running vista and the update is for xp. is there a similar one for vista?

No, I thought you were running XP so I suggested that update. WPA2 and full support is already included with Vista RTM.

Which update did you install?

The update was called "Intel update for Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection"; it was an optional update that i got from windows update but according to the update event log, it was installed twice; the earlier one failed and the second one was successful.

i've attempted to uninstall it but it is not listed in the add/remove programs under the windows update tabs. I've also tried to system restore before I installed the optional updates but to no avail.

i'm really at a loss

I guess I learned that the hard way .... I have indeed tried this and have version 11.5.0.32 installed. I have also rolled back the drivers to no avail. is there some way to remove the update without using the add/remove program (since it isn't listed there)?

I always install drivers from MU/WU and have never had a problem as a result. If they are available there, doesn't that mean those are "signed" or "certified" for Windows or something?

when i looked into the properties of the update it says that the update was obtained through Intel for the specific wireless card ...

I always install drivers from MU/WU and have never had a problem as a result. If they are available there, doesn't that mean those are "signed" or "certified" for Windows or something?

in vista you can as most drivers are there for it - other os i would be hesitant, in saying that i have had to install drivers for my web cam from windows update as the ones from logitech site wouldn't work

Carpo/kcnychief, you should always download the drives from the OEM or manufacturer. Drivers released via WU/MU are signed, but that doesn't mean it will identify the hardware correctly. I have had problems with video card drivers several times. Lastly, I would never trust these drivers for servers.

mochan28, I am also running SAV 10.2 alongside an Intel wireless card. I haven't experienced this problem. Have you tried uninstalling SAV to see if that makes a difference?

i have and the camera drivers did not work, and in the case of the wireless card i needed to know the version which MS WU got for me, and i have the drivers for that from linksys, and they work :) - seems strange that logitech say in their latest package my cam is there and supported and then it doesn't install drivers for it, most of the time it gets on-board stuff right

madmatt, i have not tried that because i don't believe that the two in concert is what made the problem. SAV was installed about 8 months ago and the wireless was working just fine with it. I have not done anything to it, other than live update, to potentially screw up the wireless.

I'm pretty sure that the Intel update screwed something up with Vista and so it no longer supports the advanced security of the WPA-Enterprise connection... other than that i don't know what else to do except for repair the vista installation (which i don't want to do .... more of a last resort)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back