Unable to connect to sites with IE

L

lechtard

O.k this is driving me crazy - I find that I can't connect to certian sites with IE.. I have IE 6 with Windows XP Pro - I re-adjusted all the securtiy settings, and enabled cookies and such it still won't let me ..

One of the sites I can't connect to is www.adobe.com - anybody know what could be causing this ???

Originally posted by lechtard
One of the sites I can't connect to is www.adobe.com - anybody know what could be causing this ???

If I told you it was your computer because mine connected fine you'd probably not laugh - would you?:D

Sorry lechtard - I just couldn't resist.

You don't by chance have it on your "blocked" list do you??

Gee - now what could make you think that ??? I know it's my Computer - There are settings somewhere that are conflicting..

I don't have any sites in my blocked list .. Hmmm - I'm thinking about maybe restoring and seeing what that does,, man I don't want to do that ..

When I do that - I get a 404 page not found and continues to search page ..

Just to make sure we are on the same page - if you got Tools, Internet Options, Privacy tab, click on Edit at the bottom under websites, and then type in www.adobe.com and then click allow and OK out - it gives you a 404??

By doing the above you pretty much allow a site regardless of what it's privacy policy is - thus just about anything (to the best of my knowledge) should be permitted thru>

I would suggest you wait and see if any of the experts come around and can help before doing anything drastic.

I guess my last question would be - have you ever been able to get to that site? Maybe a system restore might help! If it doen;t help you can always undo the restore!

Yip .. I did it just like you said - It worked untill I did my last reformat .. I don't do system restores: So I don't know what it could be.

Well, it doesn't look like Happy Valley is very happy today - I am out of suggestions - perhaps someone (and there are plenty) more knowledgeable than I will be able to help you out!

For what it is worth - I am original from Reading and had been a Steelers fan during the Stallworth/Bradshaw/Lambert days!

Thanx for the help -

and Yip .. Steelers Roxx !! Maddox is the man , ,he is much better than stewart ever was ....

Since you can still visit this site it looks like, download FireBird for me, and check if you can reach it then. If you cant you will need to check with your ISP.

I tried it with firebird dude ... I already have it installed ,, it did'nt work - I was thinking the same things along the lines as if it did work with firebird it was the settings but it did'nt so I know it's not IE now ...

Hmm... it definitely wouldn't hurt to check with your ISP. It sounds like it could have something to do with DNS, however I'm not sure why this would only occur on certain sites. Just for the fun of it, enter this address into the address bar: 192.150.22.119
This is an address for Adobe's homepage, just curious as to whether the domain names weren't being resolved for some reason. Let us know if that works. If anything, it might narrow the problem a bit. :)

That did'nt work either Muzikool .. I'm going to call my isp and see what is going on ... Thanx for the help all :)

Have you tried this>

IE/Tools/Internet Options/Advanced. Restore the defaults? You might have to reboot.

I had the same problem, until I put in a new m/b and did a restore from the cd, as it didn't want to boot to xp. It removed a lot of files and replaced them with new ones. Did a total update on xp and ie, and now it works like a dream. I beleive it is caused by certain sites when you allow them to access your drive. eg.
when downloading cracks and allowing them to install files.

My suggestion is to reload ie 6 and redo all the updates again.

ejm

That did'nt work either hipster .. Thanx for the help though ..

Got this idea from ejm. :)

If you are starting to pull your hair out try these>

Try this to repair IE
Start/Run/regsvr32 urlmon.dll

OR

To reinstall IE
Start/run/rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 c:\windows\inf\ie.inf

OR

Microsoft

Originally posted by ejm
I had the same problem, until I put in a new m/b and did a restore from the cd, as it didn't want to boot to xp. It removed a lot of files and replaced them with new ones. Did a total update on xp and ie, and now it works like a dream. I beleive it is caused by certain sites when you allow them to access your drive. eg.
when downloading cracks and allowing them to install files.

My suggestion is to reload ie 6 and redo all the updates again.

ejm

the thing is though, adobe is'nt the only this does this with .. it's odd though ..

I'll try that hipster - thanx for the info and help .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back