Unable to allocate memory

Adamas

OSNN Junior Addict
Hey, can anybody help.... I have an Xp Pro box that keeps on displaying UNABLE TO ALLOCATE MEMORY SIZE 2. This is getting to me as the box has its swap file set to it's max, 2 X 512 Duel DDR chips set in slot 1 & 3, with a 256mb graphics card. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance - Adamas

google memtest86 run it and tell us if it has any problems (this tests memory)

Thanks sraycoz, I'm @ work & the box it at home - will run memtest86 and see what happens.

ok keep us posted id run the basic test with mem test if no errors if run extended in this situation after basic (but this takes a while) keep coming back and i will help you as much as i can.

yeh and since no one else said it then WELCOME to OSNN :D - enjoy your stay....

I have run the basic test, no errors, I left the extended test, which is still running. The last I checked there were no errors & 46 passes.

when does this happne? are you running a program and get this error or are you booting up your PC. try giving yourself some more virtual memory space. see if that helps.

http://www.rsinc.com/services/techtip.asp?ttid=3346

found this documnet that said to try this. very good info here on this subject.

are you running a server version of the os? see if this helps

also, I don't know if this article will help, or even if it's accurate, I just pulled it up from a search...have a look;

here

Ok, I am using XP pro on a stand alone machine, not a server, at first I thought that the warning was happening when a I was using a graphic intense & Ram hungry program, but this is not the case. The program I was using at the time was Surpac, a 3D mining package, the last time I had just opened FlashMX when it happened.

I have increased the virtual memory again, but have not had a chance to test it yet – the machine is at my house, where I have no telephone / mobile or network connection (how sad) so sorry if I don’t reply sooner. I am starting to think that it could be a memory fragmentation problem, thanks IDLE, interesting article. Hopefully I will have good news on Monday.

Ok people, It seems that things are working, I haven't decided what seems to have fixed the problem. Things I did.

Re-seat the RAM
Increase switch file
Update the Northbridge chip

So far I have not had the problem again ..... thankx for all your suggestions.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back