UltraVNC and SBS2003

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hey all,

I am trying to get UltraVNC to work off a SBS2003 tower. It was working properly from a workstation that is outside the domain, but I know that I am getting caught up on the SBS2003 firewall during connection, but I can't figure if it is this ISA server that is blocking me. ISA Server is very new to me.

I don't see a XP-type Security Center anywhere in the Control Panel.

Is there an easier way to punch a hole into the firewall of SBS2003 so that UltraVNC can be used?

Thanks,

Heeter

You say "it was" working - does that mean it used to and now it isn't? Did you make any changes to the environment? How far do you get in the connection process? Have you tried RDP?

Something you may also want to consider is hamchi, this should allow you to use VNC pretty easily

Do. Not. Use. VNC. Period.

Remote desktop is far more secure. It's 128bit encrypted for instance :)

Hi LofLA,

Two things I like with VNC though.

1- File Transfer

2- Repeater, which allows me to remote desktop several machines within a workgroup.

If I could setup Remote Desktop so that it can view the desktop of the Server and two or three workstations of a domain from outside the domain, then I just might forgo the file transfer part.

Heeter

You say "it was" working - does that mean it used to and now it isn't? Did you make any changes to the environment? How far do you get in the connection process? Have you tried RDP?

Something you may also want to consider is hamchi, this should allow you to use VNC pretty easily

While it was still a workgroup of machines, the VNC was working properly. Now that the Domain Controller now has the DNS/DHCP duties, I can't it to work, I think that I am hitting the Server firewall.

Heeter

I assume you are doing some type of port forwarding? Never used VNC myself so I'm not sure. AFAIK, the only changes that would come into play from a workgroup type setup to a DC with DNS/DHCP is that you would have to assign a static IP to it. If that is the case, verify the ports are configured properly on the hardware firewall if present.

Why can't you RDP into the server and then RDP from the server to multiple machines from there? I do it all the time, as recent as this morning (was on 5 machines!)

Hey Derek,

I thought that can't be done with Remote Desktop Connection, could you tell me how you set it up?

Helder

Nothing to setup really. Use remote desktop from your workstation to connect to the server. Then, launch remote desktop on the server as many times as you want to computers on that network. Here's a tip though....

Say you connect to a server with an IP of 1.1.1.1 (I'm lazy :p)

When on the server, you connect to WKSTN1

So now, you are on WKSTN1, and you want to minimize that connection. If you click on the minimize tab for the window, it will actually minimize the whole connection. The window will actually say 1.1.1.1. So, what you have to do, is click on the "double boxes" between the X and the Minimize, which will shrink the connection window. You can then minimize just that one connection, incase you wanted to get back to the server so you can work on that or connect to another PC.

I can post some screenshots later or tomorrow when I'm home if that isn't clear.

Hey Guys,

I don't want to resurrect an old thread, but I do need some assistance.

This boss really wants VNC over RDP to access his workstation, and transfer files.

I would like to open a port through SBS2003 firewall, but when I click on the firewall, it says that the firewall service is not working because something else is running (ipnat.sys?)

I could certainly use some assistance,

Thanks again,

Heeter

Do not use VNC.

Remote desktop is far better for windows <> windows remote access.

Thanks LofLA,

I do realize that, but this owner likes the ability to transfer files through the remote window.

Unless there is someway to perform this function with Remote desktop?

Helder

yes. options > local resources > map local disks.

they show up as network shares in explorer then.

Would you have a screenie of this.

Sorry, LA, but I can't see where you are telling me to go set this up.

Helder

Options> local resources

There are check boxes for printer and clipboard, there is a button called more, check drives. Done.

I don't honestly see how you could not see how to do that. The options are there on the latest release of the remote desktop client and the beta build that allows connection to server 2008.

Thanks, M.

I was looking IN the remote window, not the connect screen before connecting. DUH!!!

Now I see exactly where you telling me to look,

It is just one of those days.........................

Thanks a million, my good friend.

Helder

I personally don't like doing file transfers that way, I find it horrifically slow. But, then again, I haven't done it in a long time - maybe it's better now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back