UltraMon and PowerDVD strangeness

gballard

OSNN Senior Addict
I am using UltraMon with my dual monitor setup and when I start a dvd in PowerDVD...it plays fine on my Primary Monitor...but when I drag it to the secondary monitor it doesnt play the video at all...anyone else experienced this?

On another UltraMon note...how does it handle visual styles? If apply a visual style to my primary display...will it be on the secondary also? Or is it best not to mess with visual styles with UltraMon?

Not sure about the powerdvd question, i use both those programs but i haven't tried to drag it across since my secondary GC isn't very good and probably won't display very well any way......but i'm just going to test it...... ok tested it.
Mine does the same thing. I'm not sure but i think it has something to do with the way DVD's are displayed I think they bypass certain windows controls and interface directly with the graphics card. I read something about it before but i can't remember now :)
Either way, if you put powerdvd on the second monitor before you press play then it will work (you won't then be able to drag it to the primary one of course)

On the visual style note, you can apply any theme you like and it will appear on the second monitor perfectly (sometimes the taskbar buttons may be a bit smaller on second monitor)

I tried starting PowerDVD on the secondary monitor and it did the same thing...oh well...no biggie i guess

I can't start it on my second monitor but I can drag it and leave it on the secondary monitor and there is no problems that I have experienced with ultramon and powerdvd...

plays perfect on either monitor...

Well...I have now had problems with UltraMon...:(....and here what led up to the problem. I installed the uxtheme.dll patch and rebooted. When the system came back up...I got an error msg from the ATI control center saying there was no ATI driver to load and the desktop that normally comes up on my primary monitor came up on my secondary monitor. Not really sure what was goin on...I rebooted again and sure enuff...there was somethin up...no display on my primary monitor which runs off my ATI card. So I powered down and removed the TNT2 card and then powered back up and all was fine. I went ahead and uninstalled UltraMon also...this incident got me kinda gun shy now...:(

Originally posted by gballard
Well...I have now had problems with UltraMon...:(....and here what led up to the problem. I installed the uxtheme.dll patch and rebooted. When the system came back up...I got an error msg from the ATI control center saying there was no ATI driver to load and the desktop that normally comes up on my primary monitor came up on my secondary monitor. Not really sure what was goin on...I rebooted again and sure enuff...there was somethin up...no display on my primary monitor which runs off my ATI card. So I powered down and removed the TNT2 card and then powered back up and all was fine. I went ahead and uninstalled UltraMon also...this incident got me kinda gun shy now...:(

probably just little settings messed up...

does not sound like anything to worry about... might have to reset or reprogram some settings that you normally use back in.. change it from defaults or whatever it is...

also check and see which profile you are logged in under... installing a new theme the other day killed my Sazar profile in winxp and I had to log in as admin and setup a new profile :rolleyes:

dunno what happened... but it sure as hell was not pretty...

well..I unpatched the uxtheme.dll and powered down the machine and re-installed the PNY TNT2 card back into the machine along with the Crucial Radeon 8500 LE that was my original card. I then proceeded to update the drivers for both cards. When I attempted to update the ATI drivers...it said I needed to install DirectX 9...which I didn't have so I went ahead and installed the latest driver for the TNT2. I rebooted and then re-installed UltraMon again. I then obtained the latest DirectX 9 install files and proceeded to update that. I rebooted after that and still had a display on both monitors. I then updated the ATI drivers and rebooted again. I rebooted again and lo and behold...only the display connected to the TNT2 card came up. UltraMon gave an error about the mirror driver loading before the real driver and then the ATI Control Panel said there was no ATI driver to load. I tried to read the help file about that but couldnt really understand it. So...I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers and uninstalled UltraMon...AGAIN...and then powered off and removed the TNT2 card...AGAIN...and now I am back up on the single display...would love to be able to use both monitors..is it because they are two different cards?....:(

I just received my radeon 7000 series vga/dvi pci card :D

returned my AIW VE..

gonna fire it up with the dvi connector and BLAM... gonna see if I have any problems with dual monitor then...

this weekend I am rearranging and reformatting my computer.. all wires @ back recently messed up will be re-tied... and my computer which got completely dusted down (damn AC vent cleaners have no consideration :( ) will be cleaned out thoroughly...

Originally posted by gballard
the 7000 comes with a DVI-I connector?

I dunno... i got OEM so no documentation :)

it seems to be dvi-analog ready... however give me a day or two to plug everything in and clear up all my stuff and I will let you know :)

all I know is this card is dual monitor read.y..

well...my 8500LE said that too...but its CRT and LCD...not CRT and a convertor to CRT...:(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back