UK Broadband Recommendations Please

indyjones

OSNN.net Adventurer
Hi all its been a while :)
I am finally going to get shot of my 56K modem next month to upgrade to broadband.
Which service provider does people recommend here in the UK?
I am currently thinking of getting it from TESCO, due to cheap (~£15 a month) with free connection, modem and unlimited downloads, however I can not find much info about their service.

Cheers :)

I'd recommend Pipex if you want to keep a BT line.

I cant fault blueyonder, definately recomend them, Ive been with them for 3 years now.

Anything but BT :)
To be honest, they're pretty reliable, but there are cheaper packages elsewhere. Maybe go for a provider such as Zen Internet, PlusNet or Nildram?

Adslguide (www.adslguide.org.uk) has a very nice list of providers and forums for questions on certain ISP's. Cable is a another choice too, but you'll have to get a different line.

You'll also get much better offers from ISP using LLU. I'll be getting my 8mbps upgrade for free before the end of this month from Bulldog.

yeah it needs to be a BT line one, also not too fussed about super quick speed 512 will be ok although i would prefer it unlimited :) thanks for the info so far will look into it

In that case, go for Pipex. I've been with them for about 3 years before switching over to Bulldog for a faster connection.
Pipex offers a 1mb service for £23.44 which is cheaper than many other ISPs and you get a very good quality service out of them.

I use Virgin.net, they're different from most others as you don't need to take out a 12 month contract, you just pay monthly until you want to cancel it. It's just been upgraded to 1Mbps but there is now a 20GB cap, although I don't think I've ever got close to that. Service-wise they have been excellent so far, not had a single problem. Unlike BT which we have at work; we get a lot of downtime with them, and that's with a business contract.

MFG and I use Nildram. We're on the 50Gb cap deal but they offer uncapped for twice the price :)

I can do large downloads at work though.

And IMHO although they are efficient and provide the service Nildram are not the cheapest, then again they are throwing in their Hometalk service to get your landline calls at £5 for a month, so maybe it works out not so bad when you take that too, but it depends if you wanted that.... I think the intro deal on HomeChoice looks good, but then there is depends if you want movies on demand....

for £21.99 you get a 2mb connection and unlimited downloads from plus.net

YEah I heard some comments about plus net although some reviews slated it......

i vote for plusnet :)

been using it them atleast 2.5 years and havent had any problems whatsoever :)

used to be a plusnet user until they started capping on accounts they call "unlimited" ;)

moved to Zen, now get 2mbit & binaries (only 7 day retention though) totally uncappped usage for £35 a month..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back