UK ADSL Providers

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
I'm switching ISP's soon, and need to know how good some of the other providers out there actually are.

My requirements are that they supply an 8mb service, be relatively cheap (nothing over £30/mo), don't impose ridiculous caps and of course, are stable. So who are you presently with, and what's the service like?

Myself, currently with Nildram, connecting at 7mb on average, there seem to be a lot of drop-outs in the evening, and the cap is 50GB a month, however data transferred between midnight and 8am doesn't count, this is for £25.99/mo.

I'm with Virgin, £24.99 per month uncapped 8Mbp/s ADSL. I can't complain at all, they're very quick and no hassle - plus you pay monthly and can cancel the contract at any time - you're not tied in for 12months etc. Good ISP as far as I'm concerned.

Pipex have no caps, but Torrents are capped at 25kb/s

Unless you encrypt ;D

Orange Broadband £19.99 8mb, no caps but is a "fair use" policy

free phonecalls anytime to 01/02 numbers + 100 other countries.

beetween 4 of us we get through a lot of bandwidth + have never had any warnings, connection is rock solid with no downtime in ~3 years.

Pipex have no caps, but Torrents are capped at 25kb/s

Unless you encrypt ;D

Traffic management as they call it... My mate (a Pipex customer too) went through the forums and there's a huge number of Pipex customers complaining about their traffic management policy.

Other than that, I'd recommend Pipex too from my past experience with them.

Orange Broadband £19.99 8mb, no caps but is a "fair use" policy

free phonecalls anytime to 01/02 numbers + 100 other countries.

beetween 4 of us we get through a lot of bandwidth + have never had any warnings, connection is rock solid with no downtime in ~3 years.

Stay away from Orange.. They will charge you if you want to leave.

Haven't heard a single good thing about Orange/Wanadoo/Freeserve, my sister is presently with them, and is looking to change.

Pipex, I've heard good things, but when it comes to P2P (which I'll be using, heavily) they apparently suck, encrypting isn't a good enough workaround, as not all clients support it.

Get a decent client :p
Azureus sucks balls, and resources. My Windows machine is bork at the moment, else I'd be using uTorrent.

http://www.bethere.co.uk

upto 24meg/1meg (though they should be upgrading upload speed to 2meg at some point...)

Line lenght dictates how close you get to 24mbit :)
I'm aware of Be, however my exchange isn't LLU, and likely wont be until about 2037 knowing BT, the feckers.

I should be capable of 6.5 meg according to all the testing I did before I switched.

Pipex and ADSL Max are giving me 1.5 - 4 meg (mostly 1.5)

Good thing I moved over from Bulldog 2 meg, reaping those benefits.

Crikey. I'm quite close to the exchange, so usually sync at 8mb.

picture1jp6.png

However, if Nildram drops out of an evening, which it usually does, it re-syncs at 7mb.

heh Be has been stellar aside from the initial new setup hiccups.

I've wanted to sign up with Be ever since I heard they existed, however the chance of them unbundling our exchange any time soon is virtually non-existent. Ah, the wonders of living in a small town.. :/

picture1np3.png

:D

I should be capable of 6.5 meg according to all the testing I did before I switched.

Pipex and ADSL Max are giving me 1.5 - 4 meg (mostly 1.5)

Good thing I moved over from Bulldog 2 meg, reaping those benefits.

heh, I get anything between 2-4mb on my bulldog line at the mo. I normally try to sync my router at 2.7-3.1mb to get a stable connection.

How do you do this manual sync stuff?

All I see that it is capable of 8xxxx/4xx never a value its actually working at.

At one point I downloaded Quicktime at 800kb/sec so it can do it

Hooked up a new router /w modem last night, will see if that makes any difference.

How do you do this manual sync stuff?

All I see that it is capable of 8xxxx/4xx never a value its actually working at.

At one point I downloaded Quicktime at 800kb/sec so it can do it

Hooked up a new router /w modem last night, will see if that makes any difference.

I keep rebooting the router until it syncs at the value I deem stable enough use.

Any other suggestions? I've got my migration code from Nildram (and my downstream speed now never exceeds 59KB/s... coincidence?) so am looking to switch in the next few weeks.

Any other suggestions? I've got my migration code from Nildram (and my downstream speed now never exceeds 59KB/s... coincidence?) so am looking to switch in the next few weeks.

interesting - was thinking of switching TO nildram - currently one of the unhappy thousands stitched up to a 12 month contract with pipex.

i heard they had good speeds and don't do traffic shaping.
is this not that case?

cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back