uh... help?

V

vertex159

ok.. i have this problem. i downloaded this program that changes the icons.. and i did something to all of my .exe icons, so now all of my .exe icons are the same. i don't know what i did, and i uninstalled the program that did it, but my .exe icons are still screwed up, and all the new programs that i install have the same weird icon. can someone help?

use system restore... go back to before you installed the offending program.

Download Tweak UI by Microsoft.
Install.
Run.
Select "Repair" in the left hand menu
Highlight "Rebuild Icons"
Click "Repair Now"

This should provide the fix for your problem.

the rebuild icons thing doesnt work... so can someone tell me how to get to system restore? thanks for the replies

start...programs...accessories...system tools...system resotre

then just follow the directions :D

ok... thanks for telling me how to do the system restore.. but the thing is, i don't think i've created any. the only one i can pick is one from today.. and obviously my comp was screwed a couple days before today.. i tried clicking on the arrow that takes me back a month, but it doesn't work... so is there like a file that has all the defaults for icons? if there is can someone send it to me? thanks

A good reason why system restore should be used often to create restore points. :)

Which program did you use? Perhaps there is an option in it to revert changes.

Otherwise this may help. (Use at your own risk, backup your registry before making any changes, create a restore point):

Use Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) to follow these steps:
Create a DefaultIcon subkey in the following registry key, and specify a default value of "%1":
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile
If the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\DefaultIcon registry key already exists but has a default value other than "%1" , change the default value to "%1".
Delete the following subkey from HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex:
IconHandler
Create a DefaultIcon subkey in the following registry key, and specify a default value of "%1"):
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\icofile
If the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\icofile\DefaultIcon registry key already exists but has a default value other than "%1", change the default value to "%1".
Delete the following subkey from HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\icofile\shellex:
IconHandler
Close Registry Editor and restart your computer.

(source) The original article was for Win95, but I checked my registry and it seems that in this part it is still the same in XP.
Use the "%1" without quotes.

thanks a lot! i'm gonna go try it out... lol and yes i'm thinking those restore points are kinda important.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back