UDP Port probe from 65.54.192.122??

P

PC-Dude

I keep getting UDP port probe from 65.54.192.122 on my firewall, seems to happen 2 or 3 times per day and i'm pretty sure it's not my isp(dial-up) or any programs on my computer. Anyone got any ideas? I tried to do a whois but it doesn't give me anything.

what port number are they scanning for?
you shouldent have anything to worry about, if you have upto date antivirus and firewall protection its jsut script kiddie'z port scanning. jsut keep logs if the IP/IP's and send an email to your abuse@ispgoeshere.com or .co.uk or what ever the address is and the will take care of it for you.

I have a Firewall and Antivirus also, and i've tried 3 firewalls and none of them will give me what port the intruder is searching for. Just says a UDP Port Probe. Ohh well no big problem just wondering.

I traced the IP you posted and this is what I found:

OrgName: Microsoft Corporation
OrgID: MICROS-34

NetRange: 65.52.0.0 - 65.55.255.255
CIDR: 65.52.0.0/14
NetName: MICROSOFT-1BLK
NetHandle: NET-65-52-0-0-1
Parent: NET-65-0-0-0-0
NetType: Direct Assignment
NameServer: DNS1.CP.MSFT.NET
NameServer: DNS2.CP.MSFT.NET
NameServer: DNS1.TK.MSFT.NET
NameServer: DNS1.DC.MSFT.NET
NameServer: DNS1.SJ.MSFT.NET
Comment:
RegDate: 2001-02-14
Updated: 2001-06-20

TechHandle: ZM23-ARIN
TechName: Microsoft Corporation
TechPhone: +1-425-882-8080
TechEmail: noc@microsoft.com

ARIN Whois database, last updated 2002-09-22 19:05
Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's Whois database.

Hmm that's interesting, now the question is why? I'm not allowing it until I find out just exactly why this is happening.

Anyone got any clue? Thanks for your help :D

Read the EULA's for both SP1 and the Media player fixes and you will see what is going on.

i haven't installed SP1 yet...would turning off Auto Update services and all those other nifty lil services that MS uses to spy on your PC prevent the UDP port probe?

nope desableing the auto updates wont stop microsoft from accessing your pc, the only way to stop them is to block the related ports they use to spy on the XP user,
does anyone here know what port numbers Xp users should desable and block if they use a NIC to access the net ?

I have got this same probe on Win 2000 and XP. So it's not XP specific. And it only happens on the Gateway machine, oh well. :)

Originally posted by dabomb
it could be msn messenger

That could be true, hard to say but anyways don't matter the good thing is that the firewall is blocking it and everything is working fine. Thanks all for your help :D

some IM programs assign dynamic ports for file transfers. maybe the IM servers are trying to decide what ports u have for these connections, by essentially probing you. seeing as the ip seemed to trace to microsoft....its quite likely its something like this.

Its probably nothing to worry about especially if you think its from M$, they are hardly gonna send you a virus or trash your PC maliciously now are they!!! :rolleyes:

I have NPF and it tells me how dangerous a probe is, and lets me track any probes. Maybe get a better firewall software.

retthic i was just wondering what program or how you scanned that ip to get those results you posted for him, cause i get stuff on my firewall all the time and would like to be able to scan to retrieve information like that

you can use a program called neo trace pro , i cant remember the sites address but if you go a google search for it iam sure you can get it that way :)

But i think they have been bought by Mcafee, and it's now called visual trace or something like that.

Originally posted by JJH35
retthic i was just wondering what program or how you scanned that ip to get those results you posted for him, cause i get stuff on my firewall all the time and would like to be able to scan to retrieve information like that

Any good firewall or scanner app such as Netscan Pro ( http://www.nwpsw.com ) will give you the abililty to look up who owns the IP addy that is probing your machine. I have 3 or 4 different apps that use the "Name server lookup" tool.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back