UDMA Problem

crono_logical

Bird Eater
I seem to have a problem trying to get XP read my HDs in UDMA mode 5. One is a mode 5 drive, the other a mode 6, but the problem is that XP won't use anything above mode 2.

Both are connected on the same IDE cable (seeing as the other has the 2 CD drives).

When I use a shielded cable, XP won't go above Multi-Word DMA2, even though the BIOS during the bootup sequence correctly identifies both dirves as mode 5 capable (the motherboard isn't mode 6 capable, but that shouldn't be a problem). I've tried putting them on seperate cables by temp. removing the CD drives and even placing them both on Secondary, but regardless of what conbination setup I use, XP will refuse to go above UDMA2. The only way I can get UDMA2 is with an unshielded cable, the sheilded cable always forces Multi-Word DMA2, which as far as I know is slower than UDMA.

Again, in all cases the motherboard correctly identifies the dirves as mode 5.

Is there something I'm meant to change in XP to enable the faster speeds?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back