Ubuntu! Teach me

I was very underwhelmed. Just way too much work for not enough rewards.

I may still change my mind but so far, eh.

dual booting vista ultimate and ubuntu

I think it's counterintuitive to want to run windows apps on Ubuntu. There are great alternatives for most things that run natively for Ubuntu...

can i run windows apps?

if you want. wine can run some things, vmware or virtualbox or qemu can run everything except 3d games. linux has some great software though, you'll probably find you won't need windows apps.

Is it bad ass???

'fo sho

I was very underwhelmed. Just way too much work for not enough rewards.

if you have never used linux before, it can be a lot of work. if you have, i would say it requires less work to "get the job done". it is one of the easiest distros

Running Windows app's in Linux requires an emulator. While the super powerfull CPUs we have today can do it, you will see a performance degradation due to the emulator overhead. Forget emulating games under Linux.

Plan B is a dual boot setup which only runs one at a time without rebooting.

Plan C is to run virtual machines one with Linux, one with Windows. The last time I checked VMware was the current undisputed champ for virtual machines.

Plan D is Open Office which has a fairly high (>80%) compatibility rate with MS Office app's if all you need is business.

Linux distro's are a lot like switching to VISTA. They may or may not be compatible with your hardware. I've popped various distro's on my various machines and they loaded and worked fine. Other times I could not get past some driver or hardware compatibility issue.

The best of both worlds is using open source software under windows. It's free and as powerful as the windows app's.

Last edited:
failurbydesign....This 10 page article is a simple yet very informative. It will answer the questions you seek about Ubuntu. :)

LINK

I have an old toshiba laptop running xp..barely, and i wanted to give ubuntu a go on it. But when inserting the cd and after choosing live cd or install the ubuntu loading screen comes up for a minute, and then nothing happens after that. any way to install it directly without booting up the live cd first?

I have an old toshiba laptop running xp..barely, and i wanted to give ubuntu a go on it. But when inserting the cd and after choosing live cd or install the ubuntu loading screen comes up for a minute, and then nothing happens after that. any way to install it directly without booting up the live cd first?

I had a similar issue with my main machine, I had to dl the the text based installer .iso in order to install it. I'm still fighting issues with it.. but thats another story. :crosseyed:

Thanx, gonna try out the text based .iso now :)

\edit/ well, got it installed, but damn, XP runs soo much smoother on that old laptop. Any tips on some more lighter linux systems that looks good as well?

Last edited:
for me, not until it hits tribe 3 at least ;)

but damn, XP runs soo much smoother on that old laptop

that's odd, it runs much smoother than xp on my low spec laptop. maybe you haven't installed the binary video drivers? that would make for a slow ui

Even with buggy UI, it should be faster than windows.

For what it's worth, I've not had a speed issue with Ubuntu. It's all been related to the lack of time on my end to explore and fully utilize the o/s coz... frankly.. I don't need to when I have all the tools I need from Vista/Office ultimate (for both) and I'm paying exactly the same amount for that as I am Ubuntu.

:smoker:

I love my job.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back