uBuntu failing to install :(

FishBoy

Feeeesh
Hey guys im trying to install uBuntu 4.10 for amd 64 and at about 37% of installation it fails and tells me failed to install base system... what does that mean :confused:

means something went fairly wrong, do you have enough free disc space for it to extract the base system and so on?

yea, first i tried installing it on partition 2 of my sata 80gb, and then on my 10gb ide and empty

Is this from the free CD Canonical sent you, or did you download and burn your own ISO?
Could possibly be corrupt data on the CD?

yea i downloaded the iso, i also ordered the cd like over 2 weeks ago, but they still didn't come in

well problem solved i downloaded SuSE linux 9.10 and installed it and it worked :) it's really hard to get used to linux gui but i love it

linux question, if i want to install exe applications like msn how do i open the executable, it's telling me open with??

FishBoy said:
linux question, if i want to install exe applications like msn how do i open the executable, it's telling me open with??
I'm so sorry, I shouldn't be laughing but...
rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

Linux doesn't run .exe files. It's a different operating system. In fact, there is no separate format for executable files in Linux. Anything with execute permissions is allowed to 'run.'
There is no Linux version of MSN Messenger. You'll need to use something like aMSN or Gaim.

lol it's ok if you laugh im still learning, im using Kopete for msn, but i can't get to change the permissions on the files or folders so i can't save anything, do i have to change the permissions on windows to be able to write in them??

What are you trying to save and where? Regular users are pretty much jailed to their ~ directory, this is a good thing.

i'm trying to save in file:/windows/D which is the D: drive for windows

what filesystem is D:\? Linux write support for NTFS is sketchy at best. How is it mounted? Do you have write permissions on the mount?

well the D: is ntfs and it's mounted on... i dont know what that is :D
and btw i want to compile a C program and command line doesn't recognize the cc command but when i tried it on knoppix it worked

try gcc instead mate :p

or c++ if you need c++ :p

and NTFS mounted drives can only be read, you can't write to them.

double you tea eff, i think my version of linux is messed up
i tried compiling with gcc didn't work tried the which command on cc, gcc and c++ they dont even exist :(
oh btw take a look at this aMSN they said it's msn for linux and stuff like that

Sounds like you need to install gcc.

It does not come standard with the live CD. So that would possibly also be the reason why it does not come on the standard ISO.

one more question.... sorry guys just trying to learn what im looking at... so there is mac it's used mostly for graphics/design, windows is used for basic use, and linux is used for administrating, but when i was downloading linux there was another package called linux server pro or someting like that so what's the linux that i have used for

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back