Ubuntu - A pleasant surprise

X-Istence

Political Access
I have to personally say that this Distrobution of Linux is a real pleasant surprise. It works out of the box from the Live CD without any problems (that is all i have tried so far, time to go dig out an old HD), and so far it has been really fast and reactive, EVEN with all the CD loading it has to do.

It contains all the standard features you would expect from a Linux distro, and contains some standard apps everyone needs.

I really like the fact that it found all my hardware without any problem, and even set the size of my screen correctly in X. Overall, i am really impressed with this Distrobution, and might even make it my standard one.

If that happens, all depends, we will have to wait and see.

That reminds me, i should try out the powerPC version sometime.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 126
yes i feel the same way...i am gonna try it out on my other computer.

I just got an old 500MHz K6-2 test box a few days ago that I want to try this on. Now I just have to find a keyboard that plugs into those old-style connectors. =\

I've heard nothing but good things about Ubuntu's hardware support.

hey net are u talkin about the big plugs for the keyboard

NetRyder, i could be wrong, but don't they sell a converter that goes from the big plug (isn't it actually called an AT plug? could be wrong) to PS/2. might be able to find one pretty cheap from somewhere, or find an old keyboard for cheap from somewhere.

ElementalDragon said:
NetRyder, i could be wrong, but don't they sell a converter that goes from the big plug (isn't it actually called an AT plug? could be wrong) to PS/2. might be able to find one pretty cheap from somewhere, or find an old keyboard for cheap from somewhere.
Yeah, I'm sure such converters are available. The thing is I remember seeing one of them at home a couple of months ago (I keep a lot of old parts), but I can't seem to find the thing when I need it.
Oh well, if I don't find it, I'll probably just look for something online.
smile.gif

Looks nice, I'll be installing it on my x86 desktop when my copy arrives. May put it on the PowerMac too :)

i have a keyboard that will work for that but i guess that dont really help u since i wouldnt be able to give it to u :p.

SPeedY_B said:
Looks nice, I'll be installing it on my x86 desktop when my copy arrives. May put it on the PowerMac too :)

the x86 install works flawlessly. the PowerMac edition refused to work on my iBook though.

Unleashed said:
That is exactly what I want to know.
I guess like every other Linux distro, it's largely a matter of hardware configurations and personal opinion.

Its all a matter of personal opinion, if you can get hardware to work with one, you can get it to work with another ;)

I installed it on my other pc and i love it. I just need to get the sound working and get a modem :). I hated red hat...it was to i unno just blah.

j79zlr said:
Its all a matter of personal opinion, if you can get hardware to work with one, you can get it to work with another ;)
Well, you also have to consider ease of use - obviously what you said is true, but some distros are inherently better than others at detecting and installing drivers for specific hardware out-of-the-box.

One thing i am having troubles with is installing gcc, and g++ and pretty much all the gcc tools.

Also, headers seem to be missing, or rather, i am missing them in the package system, and personally i have not found it to be anywhere near as satisfying as FreeBSD or gentoo. Package management blows on Ubuntu. All ill say on the subject.

There is a converter availble for ps/2 keyboards to be used on AT machines (AT as in before ATX). My Dad has one on his computer because he likes them old keyboards. Will take a photo tomorrow if I don't go Nan's. Search around ebay.

Heh yeah, that old box is still sitting there untouched. On second thoughts, I don't think I really want to bother with it. :D
I'll probably try the LiveCD on my laptop at some point though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back