Ubuntu 7.04 resolution question

Sazar

Rest In Peace
So, I've gone ahead and, I THOUGHT, changed the options to allow for custom resolutions to be enabled but I don't see it in my resolution selector thinger.

Running 64 bit version with ati 1950 series card.

Assistance :)

I would like to use the native res instead of 1024x768

If you've added the options to the xorg config file does not pressing ctrl & numpad+ cycle through higher resolutions anymore?

Not that I can see m8.

Is there something else I should be doing?

I am working on it as we speak btw :)

Post your xorg.conf file

run:

gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

in a terminal, add your desired resolution in there (pretty self explanatory) and save. you can then change your resolution as usual, it should be in the list

Veritgo, do I have to restart to enable the modes or should they show immediately?

I added the required resolution and it still does not show.

I have attached my xorg file as a .txt

Attachments

• xorg.txt
    3.5 KB · Views: 183
You will have to restart X or you can reboot.

Assuming you are using Gnome, the default desktop, issue this command in a terminal

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

and to restart, issue this command

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

Also you probably will want to change your video card driver to get 3D acceleration. Personally if you got an nVidia card laying around, I'd use it, but anyways here is the Ubuntu instructions: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

Thanks guys. I was rebooting :)

All fixed. Now time to cuztomize the bugger and see just how much stuff works :D

definitely install the binary drivers before customizing (i'm assuming by "customize" you mean with beryl or compiz ;))

you won't need to reboot with linux unless updating the kernel. just hit ctrl+alt+backspace. it's like an instant reboot.

So, I've gone ahead and, I THOUGHT, changed the options to allow for custom resolutions to be enabled but I don't see it in my resolution selector thinger.

Running 64 bit version with ati 1950 series card.

Assistance :)

I would like to use the native res instead of 1024x768

I just had to add that I found this weird, cause this is the first version of Ubuntu that actually got my native resolution correct.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back