UATA33 vs UATA100

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
My hard disk supports Ultra ATA/100 (UDMA Mode 5), but my mobo seems to be too old to allow my hard disk to use it.

The maximum I can get at my current configuration is Ultra ATA/33 (UDMA Mode 2).

I know that adding an Ultra ATA/100 expansion card will allow me to use UATA/100.

Now, the question is will I get a NOTICEABLE performance boost if I move up from 33 to 100??
If so, where will I notice the difference in performance? Will it increase overall speed SIGNIFICANTLY, will it speed up 3D rendering, boot up time ... anything?

In short, are there any major advantages of Ultra ATA/100 over Ultra ATA/33, and if so, what are they?

Ah, quick reply! Thanks Catch :)

You must know the difference if you have a 66 and a 133 on the same system!

What expansion card do you think I can get for a good price?

Hell yes, VERY noticeable increase...I plugged in an OLD ATA 33 Ribbon Cable, into what should have been ATA 100 HD and ATA 100 Mobo...It took 4 minutes to boot, way over my usual 1:27, which I have tried to fix, but XP just doesn't like my mobo...takes that long even after fresh install and re-format:D

Thanks Catch ... Thanks dejav00 :)
Very quick replies ...

Anybody else has anything to add to help me take a decision?

Nothing to add really, except that Promise makes great products, and if you plan on upgrading to alot more Hard Drives, you may want to look into their RAID Controller Cards...

good call Catch.. yeah the Promise ATA100 controller will make a huge difference for you.. It should come with at least one IDE cable in the box.. one thing to consider in speed is the RPM.. 7200 is quite a bit different over 5400.. be careful of how you configure your machine though.. ATA100 is backwards compatible.. what this means is if you have a 40GB ATA100 drive and a 10GB ATA33 or 66 drive on the same chain the bus will default to the slowest drive speed (33 or 66).. in this respect you'd be wasting bandwidth..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back