[ u r g e n t ] trying to install XP PRO

jonex

OSNN Junior Addict
alright.. i'm trying to install my XP PRO on my brand new system that i got today... but guess hwat it doen't work! >:eek:
i get a "couldn't find NTLDR" message.. ok.. i tried MS knowledge base, and boot disks .. but when i tried the boot disks.. all i would get after the 6th disk is a "STOP: 0x000000ED UNMOUNTED_BOOT_VOLUME" WTF??? i tried again MS knowledge base but still didn't work.... well anyone who can help me...

(what is wrong with windows anyways.. the NTLDR is on the bootCD.. i don't get this..)

Here is something else you might want to keep handy>

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this error screen, restart your computer. If this screen apppears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation ask your hardware of software manuufacturer for any windows update you might need.

If the problems continue, , disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable compontents, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information
***STOP: 0X000000ED (0X823D7BB8, 0XC0000006, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

THE FIX:

Boot from the CD to the Recovery Console

Type: chkdsk /r (and wait FOREVER)
Type: fixboot
Type: exit

i've seen that site too.. but the problem is i'm NOT installing over Win95,98,ME or whatever.. it's brand-new.. i really don't know what to do.. :(

the problem is: i can't boot into the recovery console cuz it keeps telling me that it couldn't fined the ntldr

EDIT: sorry for the double post
EDIT#2: thx for taking the time

if it was coustem built, are you sure the hard drive is plugged into the motherboard?? how about to the power suplay??

just throwing that in to be sure.

@scsa20:
well it's built from custom pieces chosen by me.. but built by a company.. the HDD shows in the BIOS!

what os came with it?
is the message coming up when you try to boot from the xp cd? or when you boot from the hd?
is it a boughten copy of xp pro?

Originally posted by jonex
the problem is: i can't boot into the recovery console cuz it keeps telling me that it couldn't fined the ntldr

If you are doing a fresh install you don't use the recovery console... you have to format your drive and run setup off the cd...

I'm going to assume that you are booting from the CD, since you said it is a brand new system, meaning there has never been any data on the hard drive. In that case, since the error is relating to the NTLDR it most likely means that the CD is not bootable. If you have a legal copy of XP, then I don't know what to tell you.

STOP: 0x000000ED UNMOUNTED_BOOT_VOLUME most likely is you are using ATA controllers. If that is the case, you need to press F6 when it tells you to, so that you can load the controller drivers. XP considers ATA to be SCSI when installing.

As my suggestion is pretty simple, you may have already checked, but I was once totally clueless until I thought of it...

When I got an error like yours, it turned out to be that the IDE cable was plugged into the drive improperly. The cable didn't have any markers (red strip or notch) so I couldn't immediately tell it was backward. Simply reversing the plug fixed the problem.

Good luck!

alright.. thx y'all for the yips.. i went to sleep last night.. sorry for the late response

I'm going to assume that you are booting from the CD, since you said it is a brand new system, meaning there has never been any data on the hard drive. In that case, since the error is relating to the NTLDR it most likely means that the CD is not bootable.

But it seems like it is bootable since it doesn't give me any error saying "insert setup disk" or whatever..maybe i'll just go to the store to get a new one and return this crappy CD

or could i maybe burn the contents of the XPCD to a blank CDRW/CDR and make that bootable(cuz it seems like the original is not..) how would i do that

a problem i ran into with the machine i built was i chained about 4 fans onto the same power connector that fed one of my hard drives ...it was detected in the bios but not the OS

just something to look at and make sure each drive has its own power

Hi Jonex,

Found this for you

HOW TO: Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP Click here

Hope this helps you

Alan

i saw that site also but the problem is it's an empty HDD.. i can't create a boot.ini because the HDD doesn't have an windows installation folder

thx anyways

Originally posted by baser5nature
If you are doing a fresh install you don't use the recovery console... you have to format your drive and run setup off the cd...

Quoting baser5nature, has the Drive been formatted ?

This can be done of the Xp CD

Alan

i don't understand.. why would i need to format the hardrive.. it's brand new.. and empty.. evern if i would try i would get the mssing ntldr error.. i can't to anything off the CD.. when i boot from th CD i get that missin ntldr

i get the feeling that the CD is not bootable.. can i somehow burn it to another and make that one bootable.. how would i go about doing this

Originally posted by jonex
i don't understand.. why would i need to format the hardrive.. it's brand new..

It has to be formatted to accept the O/S

At what stage in this procedure do you get the missing NTLDR Message.

1.Start your computer and then insert the Windows XP CD into your CD-ROM drive.

2.Your computer should automatically detect the CD, and a message "Press any key to boot CD" will be displayed for 5 seconds.

3.Press a key and the CD will begin to load files that are needed to begin the installation. This make take a few minutes.

4.When asked if you wish to install Windows XP press Enter.

5.You will be presented with the End User Licensing Agreement. Press F8 to accept and continue or press F3 to cancel the install.

6.Select the partition in which you wish to install Windows XP and press the Enter key.

7.The next screen asks if you wish to use the NTFS file system. This is the preferred file system, however, if you choose to use FAT32, you will not have all the security and stability features of Windows XP.

8.If you previously had an Operating System installed you will be given a choice of Format options . Select the Format option of your choice. When asked to start the format, press the "F" key. The formatting process may take quite a bit of time.

9.Setup will begin an automated loading of files which will take several minutes.
***Note - If you are clean installing using an XP Upgrade CD you will be asked for a qualifying product at this point. Just pop the CD for your older version of Windows into the drive while the XP setup completes an authenticity check. Following this you will be prompted for the XP CD and setup will continue.

10.After this is complete the computer will restart. Leave the XP CD in the drive but this time DO NOT press any key when the message it "Press any key to boot CD" is displayed. In 5 seconds setup will continue.

11.The Windows XP Setup wizard will lead you through the process of gathering information about you and your computer.

12.If you are connected to the Internet XP will prompt you to "Activate". If you choose not to activate at this time you will be prompted periodically over the next 30 days. At the end of 30 days, if you have still not activated you will no longer be able to access the Desktop. Information on WPA found here Technical Details on Microsoft Product Activation for Windows XP

13.Following the Activation Screen you will be given the opportunity to Register Windows XP. Registration is optional and choosing not to register will not have any negative effect on your system.

14.You will be required to enter your account password to gain access to the Windows XP Desktop.

Taken from Here

Alan

P.S. I know its frustrating but hang on in..........I'm sure we will get it sorted for you :blink:

ok.. well i don't even get this far..
my boot proces when CD inserted..
Code:
Verifying DMI Pool Data...
Boot from CD: CDBOOT: Couldn't find NTLDR
ok well i found something interisting.,.:
before it says:

Code:
Scanning IDE drives...
No drives attached to the FastTrak controller. The Bios is not installed

that made me wonder too since the BIOS IS installed and it DOES recognize the 80GIG HDD

u said a company built your computer with your parts. prehaps all they did was plug then wires in/seat the cpu etc. u may still need 2 load the bios as well as xp. what is the make of ur motherboard so we can find the latest bios for it?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back