Type of HOME internet connection

XPletive

bbbb-ring...
What type of internet connection do you have at home?

I just can't see spending $50+ a month for broadband
access, when I'm only paying $17.95 a month for dialup.
They're a bunch of robbers if you ask me. Especially here,
where there's a cable company monopoly.

The time is approaching through....

What is your time worth? You save a lot of time with broadband. Turn on the computer, your online. No waiting to connect. No getting kicked off. Need to download something? Done. My time is sometimes limited...it's nice to save some every once in a while.

If dialup suits your needs then you should stick with it rather than go to broadband.

I pay $45 a month for cable and the speed and convenience more that offsets the increased cost. I have 3 computers that are networked with no noticable effect on speed even when all three are doing heavy downloads.

With cable there is no need for a second phone line which may not matter to you but for anyone who lives with one or more women knows that tying up the phone causes alot of hate and discontent. If you add the cost of a second phone line to what you are paying for dialup then the cost difference between dialup and broadband isn't that great.

After about three years of waiting and waiting for downloads - I have cable and love it. Driving factor was Bell South being sooo slow - 14 kbs on a good day.

First thing I downloaded on the cable was IE6 - " approximately 45 minutes on dail-up" - took me about 1 1/2 minutes on the cable!

For$45 a month - it is worth it to me since I download quite a few songs! Only porblem is COMCAST is my only choice in the area for cable!

I got cable just as soon as it became available in my area.
$45 a month, they furnish the modem with no option to buy.

I love it, sure nice to turn on my PC and I'm online. Click on a full screen image and it appears instant, download and upload in a flash.

Also installed a routed and now my wife's computer is on high speed cable.

I would hate to know I had to go back to s -- l -- o -- w dial up!:D

the first post says it all, just a yourself what your time is worth, if I had to pay twice as much for braod then I do, it'd still be a bargain

I don't doubt that it's really nice to have. The T1 connection
we have at work is excellent.

I dunno... I'm from the old school I guess.

I'd like to rally everyone to drop their cable TV and broadband
for awhile, so the cable companies drop their prices down
to a reasonable level.

Take back your wallets!!!!! Revolt! :D

Now... where did I leave my bell-bottoms and tie-dyed shirt?

What the heck? 58 views and only ten votes. Huh.

I used to have cable but am now on DSL here in the Philippines, they both could rate as the slowest broadbands in the world.

Both companies say they are world class providers, but the only thing world class about them is the price. At around US$60.00/month for a 256K DSL connection that is lucky to give 150kbps and download speeds of between 8 & 12kbps it's not worth the money, so it's back to the old dialup for me. :mad:

The worst thing is that neither company cares, and they know that no-one can touch them because the Government Departments that are here to protect the consumer are to scared to take on these big companies.

Comsumers get shafted every which way in this country.

AT&T Broadband Cable. Originally went with it a copuple years ago. My $21.95/month for AOL + phone bill for Internet calls totalled more then the $40/month for cable.

JJB6486

Originally posted by Smokie

The worst thing is that neither company cares, and they know that no-one can touch them because the Government Departments that are here to protect the consumer are to scared to take on these big companies.

Comsumers get shafted every which way in this country.

That really sucks. Overthrow the government. :mad:

i use knology.. its $80 a month for phone cable tv and broadband... with aol it was about $120 a month for the 2 phone lines aol and tv

I wish I had broadband.I use dial-up,simply because there is no cable in my area(Internet or TV),and I can't afford DSL-the phone company wants $80.95 a month on a 12 month contract.And did I mention the $275 required modem purchase?They suck.

my daddy pays $50/mo. for pac bell dsl. i was supposed to pay half, which makes no sense, since THREE people use it most of the time, but instead of paying $25 a month for my "share" (only 'cause i work and my brother and sister don't ~ NOT FAIR), i pay for $20/mo. for my brother's cell. blah. oops ~ kinda strayed off topic. my bad. hehe, oh well. ;)

DSL rocks :p

with BT Openworld here... (England UK)... been with them for quite a while now... originally it was capped to 512/256... now get well up to 1024/512 :p... man i love DSL :p ... cuts off sooooo much time ;)

MdSalih

1024 download/512 upload.....how did you manage that...:confused:

I'm with BTO(HG15) & I get the usual 512/256 speeds..!!

I have no complaints though, well not since my gateway was upgraded anyway, plus it's now a tenner a month cheaper..:D

Would like to know how you doubled your speeds though m8..;)

i pay $39.95/month for a 2.3mbps/350kbps connection. do i think it's a waste of money? hell no!

i d/led day of defeat 2.0 yesterday (138mb) in 10 min. 12 sec. woohoo! :)

/me hugs cable modem

Type of Home internet connection.

I have a lowly 3Com 56K modem @ £15.00 a month on AOL.
Don`t have broadband in our area as yet, as we are out in the sticks.
Usual con speed is 45333.
This is the reason that I type very slowly, as I also know that some of you cannot read very fast???:D :D :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back