Tyan S2390B 266MHz FSB Setting

R

RobbieSan

here's an interesting one.. I hope someone out there has run into something similar so they can give me some advice..

BIOS V1.10

this mainboard can be configured to run at 100MHz FSB or 133MHz (x2 = 266).. when I set the two jumpers as described in the manual my machine will not post at all.. trying any of the other three jumper configs it will not post.. set it back to the 100MHz config and no prob..

Tyan tech support figures I have A) set jumpers incorrectly, or B) my power supply is too weak to power the machine with my current goodies and 266MHZ FSB

I disconnected my 2 CDROMs and 2nd HD and tried it with the other jumper configs but still no go..

Although it is not pointed out in the manual, am I supposed to change the CPU clocking frequency or something?

I am wondering if this portion of the board is no good.. but I wouldn't be surprised if it's some little setting I am missing...

any help is appreciated....

its either your cpu or your memory that will not support 133.. i had the same problem

I double checked system memory to be sure. Using Sisoft Sandra I confirmed that my memory is PC133. I tried it with either one to be sure and still no help.

most likely your motherboard cannot handle the 133... or mayb your cpu there isnt a way to fix it you have to live with 100 like i did for awhile till my motherboard died :)

I have the same board !!! O.k the jumper that is closest to the pci slots must be closed(little plastic thingy on both pins) and the other jumper by the memory banks ONLY put the plastic thingy on the Right pin.(the pin furthest from the memory)That should do it.If not post back and when I get home I'll see for sure.

I'll give that a try.. sounds weird but hey, it's computer stuff.. lol

Thr mb manual has the wrong settings.It took me hours of setting the jumpers in differant ways.To make it easyer just put the jumpers back the way they came and reverse them.

Okay, so to confirm it should be:

JP 16: closed

JP 26: open

I have tried that with no luck. I'll give it a try again though. I will also try it a different CPU and see what happens. For all Iknow teh CPU could be the problem.

Jp19 closed,Jp26 just the 1 pin closest to the side of the Mb,Don,t
cover both pins.That will give you the 133fsb.Thats the way I have it.Maybe your cpu is the 100fsb version?

I think that is exactly what the problem is. I had called my brother earlier asking if I could try his Athlon 1.3MHz in my machine. He called me when I got home to tell me he some info that AMD 1.2 CPU's ending with "B" are only 100MHz, and "C" 133. I am assuming that is the case, otherwise I would be up and running at 133. Thanks for your help folks. Guess I can put this to bed now.

Yep.. damn, if I had known about this beforehand I would have waited for a 266 capabale CPU.. that's a fair chunk of performance I'm missing out on.. oh well, I plan to upgrade soon anyway...

funny you should say that.. since my CPU is still within it's 1 year warranty it will mysteriously die and require warranty replacement... mwwhaahahaha

mind you I was looking around at motherboards and seriously considering just buying a new one, CPU, and DDR... the Gigabyte GA-7VRX/P looks like a great mainboard at an excelletn price.. my cost CDN is appr. $150.. anyone got experience with Gigabyte mainboards? are they any good? reliable?

you're right though CPU's keeping in price like crazy, AMD anyway.. when I bought my 1.2 back in July/01 I paid $215 CDN my cost as a reseller.. XP 1.8 is going for about $185 my cost...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back