Two problems summed into one thread

failurbydesign

music MUSIC music
Political Access
Question 1: My uncle is so computer STUPID im always fixing his dumb mistakes. The Two most recent problems is that he messed his bios up where in order to boot to windows you must hit F12>Boot utility Partition. And now when he goes to log in, its shows the welcome screen, but no log in. Now ive tried resetting the bios, but I can’t find the default settings and two with that that startup error I can’t get into safe mod. Any ideas, the computer is a dell 2400 series..That’s all I Know about that.

Question 2: I need a program like a "Guest account" but not. Im going to make me admin so he can’t mess the pc up any more than he has. At my high school, they had programs on the pc's that no mater what you did, once restarted, it would go back to the setting the admin would set...does anyone know of a program like this?

I know those questions are long and may not make sense to you, but to me they do, so if anyone needs anything cleared up, let me know!!

Thanks a bunch

Danny

Question #1 might not be BIOS related. I could be wrong, but it sounds like the boot.ini got edited and changed the Utility Partition to the primary boot device. If that's the case, and it's a Dell, that may be a bit tricky. The standard windows repair may not hack it. The only thing you can do in the BIOS is change the boot order, but the partitions are on the same physical device. Perhaps boot into something like BartPE, or slave the hard drive, to edit his boot.ini

Question #2 - you are making this way too complicated. Just lower his user priveleges, make him a standard user, and then he just won't be able to do anything. If you don't want him saving anything to his profile, give him read access to the C:\Documents and Settings path.

EDIT: Got beat a little bit ;)

failurbydesign said:
Question 1: My uncle is so computer STUPID im always fixing his dumb mistakes. The Two most recent problems is that he messed his bios up where in order to boot to windows you must hit F12>Boot utility Partition. And now when he goes to log in, its shows the welcome screen, but no log in. Now ive tried resetting the bios, but I can’t find the default settings and two with that that startup error I can’t get into safe mod. Any ideas, the computer is a dell 2400 series..That’s all I Know about that.

Could it be that the hard drive is not in the boot priority? Sounds like that menu is a boot selector menu.

failurbydesign said:
Question 2: I need a program like a "Guest account" but not. Im going to make me admin so he can’t mess the pc up any more than he has. At my high school, they had programs on the pc's that no mater what you did, once restarted, it would go back to the setting the admin would set...does anyone know of a program like this?

My school used such a program, it was called DeepFreeze and it works wonders. You can freeze the drive/partition. I'd move his documents, favourites, etc to a D: drive and freeze the C:.

DEEPFREEZE!! That was it...i may try that.

With the bios, when it goes to normal boot up, i get an error. Something like press F1 to boot normal or F2 for system settings. When i go into the bios, the boot order is Floppy, cdrom, hard drive. I cant find a reset to default though....As for the missing log on any ideas?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back