Two OS's on one HDD

Teddy

Boogie Nights...!
How is is done?

If i use a partition program and install the second OS on it how would i access it (ie have it boot up)?

Thank u!

A OS selection menu is normally made available (depends on the second OS you install, but in 90% of cases its automatic) to allow you to choose which to boot.

Teddy said:
How is is done?

If i use a partition program and install the second OS on it how would i access it (ie have it boot up)?

Thank u!

You install them on different partitions and access on boot the one you like to run .

what os's are you keen on using... there are some important filesystem type checks we should outline...

yeah, it's not hard, but there are orders that you have to use to install multiple OS's, I've been running multi OS's for a few years now, including windows95/98/2000/XP, Linux, Novell... there are just certain orders you ahve to follow when installing.

Ok, i currently have WinXP Home installed on an unpartitioned HD and want to install Win2003 on the same HD (partitioned). Would it be safe just to partition off about 10gb, install Win2003 to that?

Then when i boot up each time i'll get an option to choose which to use correct?

Thank for the replies so far!

yes - to all your questions.

If, for some wierd reason, Windows doesn't add the new entry to the boot.ini, it's easy enough to add it manually.

I think Win2003 should discover XP installed on another partition and add an entry for it into its boot loader

Thanks all!! Wish me luck...things could get messy ;)

Just make sure you install the new OS into a 'different partition' if it asks you in the early stages of the Setup.

Since Windows 2003 is the newer OS, Windows should pick up the Win XP installation, and make a boot loader for you automatically.

it is possible to install two windows operating systems of different or same versions into one partition.

make sure that a) name root folders differently [winnt/windows], b)install the os's in the order they were released.
ie. 1. win98/2. 2k/3. xp/4. 2k3

no, it's on the server line NT>win2k Server> win2003 server

it's not a desktop OS persey

How much space does Win2k3 take up? I may just install it on my second HD.

Teddy said:
How much space does Win2k3 take up? I may just install it on my second HD.

2 gigs will give you little room to work with. 5 is ideal for programs and download overhead.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back