Two Hard Drives Question.

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hey guys,

I just installed a second HDD on my 'puter. (D:,secondary master). C: is a 40gig 7400rpm, D: is a 20gig5400rpm. For optimal gaming and program running and multitasking, I was informed that I should put my XPHome OS on my D: and cut and paste my "Program Files" folder onto C:. All my installed Games are in the Program Files Folder now. Right Now, my D: is being used for a compressed image of C:, but I would like to use them both to the fullest extent. All your professional opinions will be greatly appreciated......

My 'puter setup is as follows: PIII770Mhz, 1.37gigRam, AGP4X 32meg ATI RageFuryPro.

Heeter

cut and paste program files folder ?????? no sorry that dont work that way .... you could install your os on the smaller drive and reinstall your programs ..... but I think you should partition your drives and make C: like 10 gig and use it only for OS and lets say anti virus , firewall and maybe a few tweakers and then use the other partitions for all your games, programs and music/vids ....

Go with Kermits suggestion of partitioning.
As mentioned you cannot cut and paste progs, as C\Windows\ System 32, which contains the sys files for these progs, will get in a knot and not recognise their relocation.
After partitioning you can install them in "D" etc, but the corresponding sys files will go to C|Windows\ System 32.
A different scenario would only be with 2 different operating systems on different partitions, where you can have separate "Windows"folders for each.

So It would look like this:

(20gig,5400) partition1: 10gig=>OS, firewall, Antivirus.
(20gig,5400) partition2: 10gig=>Backups, etc
(40gig,7200) partition1: 20gig=>Games
(40gig,7200) partition2: 20gig=>other programs

Does the OS have to be on the primary master partition or can it be in any partition? Right now, my 20g is sitting as secondary master, do I have to move it to primary master. Can all this partitioning and OS installs take place now, or do I burn everything onto cd and start over? This is fun.....

Thanks,

Heeter

The os will run fine on secondary master ......

and that looks to be a good way of setting it up this way if ever you want to reinstall your OS it can be done without harming all your other apps

Thanks Kermit,

Never would of thought of partitioning myself. This was a huge help.

Heeter

cut and paste program files folder

lol, it will make your computer faster, but mabey one program at the most would even open :p

I would install programs on games on C: and use the new D: for files, music, movies and things like that, but it is up to you ;)

Yeah, I know, but I was laughing because my friend actualy did that before so I just had to reply :D

Well something that will make the computer faster is if you keep the OS and games on the 7200 RPM drive. The difference is quite big acctually. So:

(40gig,7200) partition1: 10gig=>OS, firewall, Antivirus.
(40gig,7200) partition2: 30gig=>Games, some heavy programs
(20gig,5400) partition1: 10gig=>Other programs
(20gig,5400) partition2: 10gig=>Backups

Originally posted by Heeter
Thanks Kermit,

Never would of thought of partitioning myself. This was a huge help.

Heeter

Anytime glad it all worked out ;)

Thanks, Zedric....That makes sense..

Now when I install any program, ie nero, I will install it in the smaller drive 1st partition, will Windows know it will be there? and run it from there. Will the Start=>all programs know it will be in a different partition? Sorry for the questions, but I am very new to the partition business.

Heeter

Read somewhere in this forum 2-3 weeks ago.
Someone did call MS tech support and advised that separating OS and program files, even on one hard disk but different partitons, will slow down programs performance.

I have all programs + OS in one partition. data other partition and media different disk.

Originally posted by Heeter
Now when I install any program, ie nero, I will install it in the smaller drive 1st partition, will Windows know it will be there? and run it from there. Will the Start=>all programs know it will be in a different partition?
Yes, it will, no problems. :)

zalood: That sounds really strange. If you have OS and the application on different disk you get a lot better performance if the program is disk-heavy because it can read from one disk while the other is busy moving the read/write arm to access data.

Not to nit-pick , just to clarify...the terminology on hard drives is Master and Slave.
However, the IDE controllers channels are primary and secondary.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back