Two copies of XP on a comp

Anakist

Way too much time here...
Two copies of XP on a comp. How do I get rid of the second?? We tried to do a repair install (yuk) and it installed a second copy. How do I get rid of it??

James

delete the windows folder then remove the boot.ini entry it wont be squeeky clean but youll get rid of it

BTW isnt that against microsoft EULA lol

Probably, but the cd did it all by itself so looks like it is microsofts fault!! No they are both on the same drive.

Thanks guys.

James

Found this at another site>

Can I install XP on as many partitions as I want without worrying about activation?
Yes. As long as XP is installed on a partition on the same computer, you can install it as many times as you want. You can activate XP on each partition without a problem.

That's all it says about it but it seems reasonable to me. It is still on the one computer.

there is a choice on loadup about picking a folder to load windows into if it detects a version already there.....
asked you if you like to can load over top of old or create new......

someone or it chose new.........

personally i dont suggest dumping another version on top of an old version, cause if you have files protected and the user gets deleted, your files are gone forever.

No it is on a friends comp. xp1800 with 1gig ram.

We formatted and reinstalled. The only way I could for mat the 30gig remaining was to install XP on it as well, then delete the windows folder on that partition. Not how do I get rid of the dual boot menu?

James

Right click my computer/properties/advanced/sartup & recovery/setting/edit. That will take you to the boot.ini. Be careful how you edit it.

Originally posted by X-Istence
personally i dont suggest dumping another version on top of an old version, cause if you have files protected and the user gets deleted, your files are gone forever.

Actually, if you do that (although i'm not suggesting anyone does) you can still access the protected files/folders of a previous user account because they dont get deleted. But you have to boot into safe-mode and take ownership of the files/folder.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back