Twelve unnecessary Vista features to disable

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Vista, thy name is bloat! The latest Windows packs a lot of code -- more than any version of Windows ever -- and some of it is just plain unnecessary. All of that excess code has a way of slowing down an operating system. You can regain some PC performance by removing unneeded features.

I've identified a dozen Vista features that you can turn off right now. Some are shiny baubles that slow down graphics performance, while others are optional utilities that hog memory when they shouldn't. A few can actually be quite useful, though they play a major role in bogging down your PC.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/09/04/Twelve_unnecessary_Vista_features_to_disable_1.html

i have a few of these off already, anyone fancy trying them out and reporting back

Seriously though - all this stuff is just heresay IMO. A machine that can run Vista based on hardware requirements really shouldn't have any problems unless you are overloading it with a lot of apps or programs. Normal maintenance can fix most any issues, 'cept for that stilly lockup problem that still occurs randomly!

Remember all the hype around the person we won't mention (Black Viper?)

why i was asking someone to test it - either way we would know, maybe the suggestions on the post are better for machines that can just about run vista :)

First thing I do on Vista install is: net users Administrator /active:yes

Use that account and delete the one created during setup.

i disabled some.. prolly wont be much difference but...

i would never disable aero or index search tho

oh, and btw... obviously no one does this now cos xp is almost 7 years old, but tweaks like these used to be perfectly normal back in the day
so xp is not that much better :p

Thanx for the link mate.
I already knew, and have disabled most of those tips(exept aero), but I had not seen the internet print services tip before. As I never use that I disabled that.
Not that I notice any difference tho LOL.

you won't see any performance increase from disabling anything in vista. All PC's built with dual core or higher processors will breeze through vista when equipped with 2GB or more of ram.

I expect no more FUD to be posted surrounding these please, it shall be terminated with extreme violence!

you won't see any performance increase from disabling anything in vista. All PC's built with dual core or higher processors will breeze through vista when equipped with 2GB or more of ram.

I expect no more FUD to be posted surrounding these please, it shall be terminated with extreme violence!
I agree with most of your post save on wittle bitty correction, I have a 2 gig box, 2 gigs is not enough for vista, minimum 3 gigs to run smooth

I run Vista plus a host of other applications on my pretty old Latitude D-620 with 2 GB's and have never had an issue.

And mind you, I do a LOT of multitasking.

I agree with most of your post save on wittle bitty correction, I have a 2 gig box, 2 gigs is not enough for vista, minimum 3 gigs to run smooth

My dual core ran smooth as butter with 2. Runs better with quad core and 6 though :)

I run vista ultimate on my desktop; it has 1 gig of ram and runs great ...

I run my vista 64 bit with dualcore and 4gig ram..so it runs fluidly from scratch..but i am a tweak addict, so i just cant stop tweaking. Eventually things go wrong, but I have a clean perfect vista image, so that is no prob hehe.

Burn baby burn! - Disco inferno!

222px-The_Simpsons-Disco_Stu.png

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back