TV Tuner: Time-shifting...?

zapoqx

Striking Master
I just need to know... what is the point of Time-shifts in a TV Tuner? On say a DVR for Cable of some sort, I think its ok because it keeps up with everything, but Time-shift on a machine and it seems to delay alot and instead of say recording like the last 5 min, it records and slows down? Not all Tuners do that though...
Is it dependent on the hardware or what?

Time shifting is great if you're watching tv and the phone rings as you can literally "pause" live tv and come back to it and play from where you left off. Also if you're recording something you can watch the start of the recording before it has finished recording.

Quote from Wikipedia
Time shifting is the recording of programming to a storage medium to be viewed or listened to at a time more convenient to the consumer. Typically, this refers to TV programming but can also refer to radio shows via podcasts.
In recent years, the advent of the digital video recorder (DVR) has made time shifting easy, by using a program guide and recording shows onto a hard disk. Some DVRs have other possibile time shifting methods, such as being able to start watching the recorded show from the beginning even if the recording is not yet complete. In the past, time shifting was done with a video cassette recorder (VCR) and its timer function, in which the VCR tunes into the appropriate station and records the show onto video tape.
The Sky+ service in Ireland and the UK allows one to timeshift. TiVo, DirecTV and other US cable or satellite subscription services offer PVR set top boxes, often for an additional monthly fee.
In cable television broadcasting, time shifting may also refer to the availability of network affiliates from different time zones, serving a similar function of making television programs available at multiple times throughout the day.

Thanks for that info.

Its just.. ok... PowerDVR or whatever its called used on another computer in the house, if Time-Shift is enabled, it will slow down all the way to the point that in 15 min time, it will be 9 min behind live TV and it will keep going slowing down. On my TV software, you can just push pause and it will do the aformentioned info in the wiki until I catch up and then when caught up, it deletes the temp file. But Time-Shift takes some time on my software (Winfast PVR) like 4-5 seconds.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back