Tv suggestions

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Hey Everyone,
Im in the market for a new tv. My price range is around 800-1000 dollars. I would like to get as big a tv as possible for the money, which would probably be a DLP. 1080p is preferable though not 100 percent necessary, though at least 720P is necessary. Does anybody know of a dlp that would cost 1000 dollars or less, shipped? If not what would you recommend for an LCD TV, (Plasma is not an option). Also, what is your stance on refurbished?

Thanks a lot,
Jack

I have a 32" Panasonic Viera LCD and I love it. I spent $1000 over a year ago. I would recommend Panasonic.

Now the issue with DLP is when it comes to replacing the light bulb, they can be pricey.

Why would plasma not be an option? I'd recommend Samsung or Sony for LCD TV, Pioneer for Plasma and JVC for DLP.

Why would plasma not be an option? I'd recommend Samsung or Sony for LCD TV, Pioneer for Plasma and JVC for DLP.
Don't want a plasma, I want it to last, and we all can see that Plasma's are on the way out, I agree with your JVC for DLP, i have a JVC DLP and love it. Unfortunately I can seem to find any DLP tvs for under a grand, there are mitsubishi DLP tvs for 1100 dollars online, 1080p and 60 inches, i dont need something that big, but I cant even find anything smaller than 60 inches for a DLP.

I currently really enjoy using the Samsung my room mate owns and has placed in the living room. We also have a Philips LCD TV. Both of them work really well!

Don't want a plasma, I want it to last, and we all can see that Plasma's are on the way out, I agree with your JVC for DLP, i have a JVC DLP and love it. Unfortunately I can seem to find any DLP tvs for under a grand, there are mitsubishi DLP tvs for 1100 dollars online, 1080p and 60 inches, i dont need something that big, but I cant even find anything smaller than 60 inches for a DLP.

Current plasma tech is good for 10 years but it's not cheap. Cheaper plasma lasts between 3 and 5 years.

Current plasma tech is good for 10 years but it's not cheap. Cheaper plasma lasts between 3 and 5 years.
I know, and 5 years at its best is too short. Plus the tv will be used for playing video games, even though they have been trying to fix that issue, i would rather not have to deal with any of the attempts to hide that problem or prevent it from happening. Like I said, Plasma is NOT an option, and is 100% non negotiable.

I know, luckily the euro is pretty strong, I can get one for € 995,00

When we get the funds I'm getting a Samsung LCD (just all around great displays and even the shell is sexy). I've seen 40-42" for under $1000 around here.

The samsung LED TV's have illumination issues with the screen centre and do fancy abusive post processing to compensate. LED TV's at the moment cheat by putting LED's in the facia rather then behind the screen, so you get overbright screen edges and dull screen centre.

There are only two that I would consider, they are a Samsung and a Vizio..

Shop around, you should have no problem finding a 42" 1080p LCD for under $1000 in the USA. I have seen them as low as $800. Check Walmart, SAMs Club Costco, etc. I even saw a 120 Hz 42 inch model for $1000. On the cheaper side consider Magnavox (aka Philips). Decent sets, good sound. Speaking of sound, if you don't plan to use a home theatre amp and speakers, most built in flat screen sets have **** sound. A buddy bought a high end Samsung last year and he was bitching about the sound just this morning. Look for sets with detachable speaker bars on the bottoms. Built in speakers suck.

Or you could find a top end 1080i for about $1000.

You have to shop though and jump when you see a deal grab it.

An equivalent Plasma will be a few hundred cheaper.

Be advised LCD flourescent backlights only have a 3-5 year life also, but it's still better than the whole screen degrading over the same period. As for 10 year Plasma... Show me 100 5 year old sets where the contrast and intensity are still acceptable and I'll start listening to 10 year claims. Also avoid Plasma if you live at higher elevations (in the mountains). The reduced pressure degrades them even faster.

Forget DLP and any other projection system. I hear nothing but sad stories at work from the people who have them. Color wheels fail in a few years (dust build up), bulbs burn out yearly and repair costs, even just the parts are $100 or more on each occurence.

Avoid Panasonic. I keep hearing about high failure rates on their power supplies. All set types.

Avoid Polaroid. ****ty sound, weak receivers, slow digital processors.

my sony rear-pro TV is stil on its original bulb 2500 hours longer than it was rated for (rated for 3000 hours, working life according to service menu 5452:42). It is starting to flicker and dim now but I don't have the £200 to replace it at the moment.

Shop around, you should have no problem finding a 42" 1080p LCD for under $1000 in the USA. I have seen them as low as $800. Check Walmart, SAMs Club Costco, etc. I even saw a 120 Hz 42 inch model for $1000. On the cheaper side consider Magnavox (aka Philips). Decent sets, good sound. Speaking of sound, if you don't plan to use a home theatre amp and speakers, most built in flat screen sets have **** sound. A buddy bought a high end Samsung last year and he was bitching about the sound just this morning. Look for sets with detachable speaker bars on the bottoms. Built in speakers suck.

Or you could find a top end 1080i for about $1000.

You have to shop though and jump when you see a deal grab it.

An equivalent Plasma will be a few hundred cheaper.

Be advised LCD flourescent backlights only have a 3-5 year life also, but it's still better than the whole screen degrading over the same period. As for 10 year Plasma... Show me 100 5 year old sets where the contrast and intensity are still acceptable and I'll start listening to 10 year claims. Also avoid Plasma if you live at higher elevations (in the mountains). The reduced pressure degrades them even faster.

Forget DLP and any other projection system. I hear nothing but sad stories at work from the people who have them. Color wheels fail in a few years (dust build up), bulbs burn out yearly and repair costs, even just the parts are $100 or more on each occurence.

Avoid Panasonic. I keep hearing about high failure rates on their power supplies. All set types.

Avoid Polaroid. ****ty sound, weak receivers, slow digital processors.
lol, I know that about the speakers. My LCD speakers are awful so I got a surround system to go with it.

In terms of DLP, my DLP hasn't had any problems lol. and back in December it said we needed to replace the bulb... Still hasn't burnt out though. I love DLP

Final suggestions, it seems Plasma may be an option now... If it really does not have burn in any more. I hear that they have something that physically moves the screen a few nanometers constantly to prevent this.
We'd be using this for a lot of video game playing, a lot of sports, and a lot of just watching cable.

My dad's plasma shifts the screen images in 1 pixel circles after it has had a static image for a certain time period.

I would still say either a samsung, vizio or Pioneer (I was looking at a pioneer here a week ago, those new ones are sweet !) .. And if you buy one, get it from Best Buy or somewhere - DO NOT BUY IT FROM WAL*MART !!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back