TV Series DVD to AVI

N

Not Bman

Sorry to ask another question. I have done this many ways before, and have been searching around for the fastest and easiest way to do this. So I come to ask your suggestions.

What is your fastest and easiest way to rip a DVD with a TV series on it, into separate .avi files for each episode. Most ways that I know of I have to rip to .vob and then covert to avi. Wondering if there is a faster way, and I just want to know the way you do it.

Thanks.

The slow part is the conversion. It takes hours. If you have to use AVI then you are stuck with slow. Why the conversion to AVI?

If you leave it in native DVD compression then you can just copy and cut up the files which at least 10 times faster. There are 2 tools I know of for doing this. One is pay (what I use) and the other shareware. I have to swicth to another computer to get the names. I also have a converter name that a buddy uses and is slightly faster.

PS Don't worry about asking questions. If people didn't ask questions we'd all be out of a job. Then we would have to get lives or something else painful.

I want avi because I want to be able to play it everywhere, now and future. Easy.

Turns out the ones I had in mind only re-encode for MPEG4 for video viewers.

Last I used that supported AVI was Cucusoft (about 3 years ago) and it was horribly slow. Have not used a recent version.

One possibility is to use AnyDVD in conjunction with CloneDVD mobile. AnyDVD handles the disc's protections and then CloneDVD mobile can convert the episode to .avi among other formats. Use the '* Generic (DivX)' option.

The previous official release used mencoder which has issues but they are now switching over to using ffmpeg in their latest beta. I'd check out the latest beta and see how you like it.

21 day free trial: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=19154

Here's the product webpage: http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonedvd-mobile.html

Last edited:
Found this $35. No experience with it, but it sounds liek it meets your need. There is a limited Free version but I could not find what was crippled in the free version.

http://www.share2.com/new/dvd-software/flash_dvd_ripper.htm

I'll see if I can get more info. Note you will still have to strip protection manually first.

Upate:
Not impressed. Free limited to 5 minute clip or "odd" chapters. Will not even read a protected DVD, let alone rip one. Slow. No feedback on what it is doing.

One possibility is to use AnyDVD in conjunction with CloneDVD mobile. AnyDVD handles the disc's protections and then CloneDVD mobile can convert the episode to .avi among other formats. Use the '* Generic (DivX)' option.

The previous official release used mencoder which has issues but they are now switching over to using ffmpeg in their latest beta. I'd check out the latest beta and see how you like it.

21 day free trial: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=19154

Here's the product webpage: http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonedvd-mobile.html

Worked amazingly. Man Slysoft makes some good software.

Worked amazingly. Man Slysoft makes some good software.

Their software is solid, yeah.

It appears they are also running a 20% discount special until August 24th so if you really like it I'd grab it while you can save some money or wait until the next time a discount rolls around.

I will be, good thing I have been changing in my older age, less pirating and more buying lol

I actually just used it for 4 episodes on Futurama. And its fine at the beginning of the show, once the opening thing starts the sound is off, its like its almost playing sound from a totally different episode, and there is black for awhile, and yea. It's doubled in time, but that doubled comes from black zones, and such.

Whats the deal?

I actually just used it for 4 episodes on Futurama. And its fine at the beginning of the show, once the opening thing starts the sound is off, its like its almost playing sound from a totally different episode, and there is black for awhile, and yea. It's doubled in time, but that doubled comes from black zones, and such.

Whats the deal?

I have no idea about that one. I generally use the software for making portable backups of movies and haven't encountered problems.

Going to try converting to the .mp4 format and see if it works.

Thanks I will try that as well. Though I did give up and I just used AnyDVD & ImgBurn to create and iso. I guess that is fine, just I need a DVD player to play it ever time.

Thanks I will try that as well. Though I did give up and I just used AnyDVD & ImgBurn to create and iso. I guess that is fine, just I need a DVD player to play it ever time.

You could try ripping the disc to your HDD first with the ripper that is built into AnyDVD and then use that as the input for CloneDVD mobile. When you use the built-in ripper it does some remastering when necessary and that may make a difference. It's worth a shot. I don't think it should be necessary for all discs.

HandBrake is a free option. I'd always rip the disc to your HDD first and then encode with HandBrake. Sometimes there can be issues related to structural protections on the original disc.

http://handbrake.fr/

I triple-boot WinXP, Win7, and Linux.. (PCLinuxOS)... When I want to rip something like that I go to Linux and use " dvd:rip " it works awesome..... But thats just me.... :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back