TV out wires question

Silvio

Argentinean Dogo
Hi !
Question:
I have a Gforce 4 with TV out, it came with the wire, it has a "super video" plug (i think its the name, it is kinda similar to the mouse plug) but my TV has a RCA input.
So how can i connect them, the thing is a have the super video wire AND a RCA one (from an old Gforce 2) so i`d like to join them (do you follow me?)
The super video wire has 4 wires inside: blue , white , brown and yellow.
The RCA wire has only two.
Is it possible to join them? , how should i go from 4 wires to only two?
Thanks!

Your card should have came with an adapter. Just a tiny little thing that you use to connect the Svideo and RCA cables together for situations where Svideo isnt on the t.v. itself. If it didnt come with your card, Ive bought them at radio shack before, but it was like 15 bucks for the little thing. (outrageous)

Originally posted by DitchHopper
Your card should have came with an adapter. Just a tiny little thing that you use to connect the Svideo and RCA cables together for situations where Svideo isnt on the t.v. itself. If it didnt come with your card, Ive bought them at radio shack before, but it was like 15 bucks for the little thing. (outrageous)
he doesn't have that adapter cable, so he's trying to fashion one. and why spend $15 when he has the components to make it himself.
:)

silvio, i'd say plug em both in (rca to tv, s-video to card), go into the display properties and select composite video output and either test the wires coming out of the card with a voltage tester or simply experiement and try connecting them to the composite video wires from the tv until you find the right two and get a clear picture. the video signal isn't high current by any means so it shouldn't harm anything.

I have the same sort of question

Geforce 4 4600 - came with an s-video "y" cable with an adapter for a yellow composite -

Last night I bought a 3 foot s-video cable to go from the "y" cable to the Tv.

The TV would not detect that there was a signal - I tried playing with desktop settings > advanced > and it would not detect another device, -

- so, how do I set it up so that it just goes to the TV?

I will figure out the dual "monitor" display l8r so I can get it on both the tv and monitor at the same time, but right now i'lljust concentrate on getting the signal on the tv.

any advice, websites, suggestions would be much apprec. thx

try restarting with the card hooked up to the tv and the tv on. some cards need a reboot to detect the tv.

and you have the "check here if you have a TV connected but it remains unselectable" box?

yes, I have that, and I selected it as well. The picture that you have attached, now shows a secondary monitor. Still, no display on the tv.

do you have the latest drivers? i have a ti4200 in my old pc and one of the drivers i used i couldn't get it to show up on my tv. but then i updated and checked that box and it worked.

you have the tv set to display the right input source, right? :eek: sorry, simple question, but we can never tell.

maybe try the composite connection instead. the card's or tv's s-video might be messed up.

yip, input source is correct, drivers: updated last night from invidia site.

I have a s-vid connection, a VGA connection and a DVI connnection on the back of the card, I am using tthe s-video, using a "y" converter to go to the composite on the tv.

I was able to do this before with my Geforce 256mx.

thnx for the screen shot, it assisted with my understanding.

i ended up buying the thing at radio shack... yeah it was like 15 bucks for a little converter, but it works.. and i'm sure it actually does more than connecting a couple wires together if it's that much...

hehe, you would think.

What little thing? you mean a DVI to VGA converter?

I'm pretty sure I've got all of teh hardware.

Originally posted by killerk
i'm pretty sure of the connnections. so .. ..... i'm going to try this.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/wdm_winxp-2k-Me-98se_1.22.html

thoughts? suggestions?
that wdm driver is only for VIVO cards to capture video. doesn't affect video-out.

dunno what the problem is. might be the card or cable. you've had other things plugged into those same inputs on the tv before and it worked, right? video game console, vcr, whatever.

True.

I got it workin last night. The cable was just being lame. Bought a new s-Video cable from London Drugs and it worked like a charm!

I hate it when **** is defective.

I made myself the cable (join the ground cables and then to the ground RCA wire, and join C and L cable with a 470 pF and then to the RCA wire) as i found in some electronic sites.
The thing is, it works but only in black and white!
So, could it be my TV doesnt (in a way) support it?
or is there something i missed?
Any idea?

Originally posted by Silvio
I made myself the cable (join the ground cables and then to the ground RCA wire, and join C and L cable with a 470 pF and then to the RCA wire) as i found in some electronic sites.
The thing is, it works but only in black and white!
So, could it be my TV doesnt (in a way) support it?
or is there something i missed?
Any idea?
s-video has 4 pins... + and - for brightness and + and - for color. if the color signal isn't reaching the tv it will just display the brightness signal which will look like normal b&w. so somethings' wrong with the color signal. recheck your connections.

It is possible it is not with your physical conection, i'm pretty sure there is a display setting as well.

i'm bored. I'll find it for you, just so you can omit that option.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back