TV-out only card?

Glaanieboy

OSNN Veteran Addict
I have a GeForce 3 Ti200 with a SVHS tv-out. I want to connect my computer to my TV, but my TV doesn't support SVHS signals, only composite signals. Now I want to buy a card with ONLY a tv-out, does that exist? Or, can I buy a cheap PCI vidcard (an ATI 7000 for example) and use it next to my Geforce3 card with the sole purpose as a TV-out card?

Can't say that I've heard of a TV-out only card before, but the PCI option would work, you could also get a nice dual-monitor setup working too ;)

im sure you can get a svhs to composite (yellow rca type)

Originally posted by GoNz0
im sure you can get a svhs to composite (yellow rca type)

Yep, but then the TV still has to process the SVHS signals, and my tv cannot do that. I already tested it with that kind of cable.

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
Can't say that I've heard of a TV-out only card before, but the PCI option would work, you could also get a nice dual-monitor setup working too ;)

That would be a nice side effect, yes :D. But, do I have to 'switch' cards when I want to use TV-out or can Windows (XP Home) use them simultaniously?

Not sure, I only have the one card here (AGP GeForce 2, mmm old) and I can run it as a TV/Monitor dual or span.

so you could probably run a wierd dual-monitor single-TV setup :p

Originally posted by Glaanieboy
Yep, but then the TV still has to process the SVHS signals, and my tv cannot do that. I already tested it with that kind of cable.
not true. your card should be able to output either s-video or composite video. the s-video-to-composite adapter cable should be all that's needed. i would try it again and go into your video properties and manually select 'composite video' output.

once it does work, you can use the tv as your only monitor. my gf2 gts is used this way. even installed xp using the tv.

Originally posted by taurus
not true. your card should be able to output either s-video or composite video. the s-video-to-composite adapter cable should be all that's needed. i would try it again and go into your video properties and manually select 'composite video' output.

once it does work, you can use the tv as your only monitor. my gf2 gts is used this way. even installed xp using the tv.

If my card supports both SVHS and compiosite signals, then I reckon there would be a SVHS->comp cable included in the box, right? I tried two different cables (from a different brand), but they both didn't produce any image on the screen. I have tried every software setting, set it to auto, set it to SVHS, set it to composite, but it didn't work. I even updated the drivers to 3 different software versions (un-official and WHQL). I contacted Creative and they said that my card only could output SVHS signals. They gave me a BIOS-update, but that didn't help also.
I went back to the shop (an electronic shop), they tested it and the cable was fine. They even tested it on a computer with a gf2 card and it worked. They said that if my tv doesn't support SVHS signals, I would have to buy a converter (a cable with a built-in signal converter) and that is quite expensive. I then called Philips, and they said that my television didn't support that kind of signals. I plugged in my video-camera with an s-video cable (and a scart converter) and I couldn't see any image either.

Not sure, I only have the one card here (AGP GeForce 2, mmm old) and I can run it as a TV/Monitor dual or span.

so you could probably run a wierd dual-monitor single-TV setup :p

AFAIK... the tv output is cloned...

therefore the image you are seeing... if you want to have desktop stuff... is cloned from your actual desktop...

I dunno if you can span or do anything else with the tv.. I certainly have not bothered since my tv output on my monitors is far clearer than on my tv...

I only want to use the output for playing my SNES/NES/ etc roms full screen on a TV.

Originally posted by Sazar
AFAIK... the tv output is cloned...

therefore the image you are seeing... if you want to have desktop stuff... is cloned from your actual desktop...

I dunno if you can span or do anything else with the tv.. I certainly have not bothered since my tv output on my monitors is far clearer than on my tv...

As I said, I can run it as a dual or a span, there is also the option to close aswell, but that's kinda pointless (as it trying to use anything on a TV too, the quality is horrible, but bleh :p )

Originally posted by Glaanieboy
I only want to use the output for playing my SNES/NES/ etc roms full screen on a TV.
you should be able to find a cheap gf2mx with tv-out for that. not sure of any cheaper cards that can do that.

voodoo3's have tv-out, but not sure if they're made to have the tv as the primary or only display.

As I said, I can run it as a dual or a span, there is also the option to close aswell, but that's kinda pointless (as it trying to use anything on a TV too, the quality is horrible, but bleh :p )

I haven't tried running it dual :) but thats cool...

as for picture quality.. it is actually pretty good when I output cloned...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back