TV Advice

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
I have a 4+ year old Samsung DLP. It's served me well this whole time, I haven't had to do any repairs, haven't even had to change the bulb. A few months ago I noticed a smudge on the screen. It won't wipe off, so I figured it had to be on the inside somewhere, I just don't know where. Since I can't get to it, I don't think it's an actual smudge, it's probably something on a mirror or something with the bulb. I was about to order a replacement bulb when I noticed I have a "dead" pixel as well. Now I know it's not a pixel on DLPs, I just don't know what else to call it. It's a constant white spot, like the light is shining right through that point. I can't imaging this is a bulb issue. So now my problem... Start spending money on stuff and hope to fix the problems. Or just save up a get a new TV. I'm leaning towards new, but I love other opinions as well, and there is always a chance that maybe someone here knows how to fix it. Worth a shot.

First I'd investigate costs of getting an engineer out to take a look and possibly fix.

Then I'd investigate cost of a new Pioneer or Panasonic Plasma TV

And jump for whichever was cheaper.

I would look into a onsite tech/engineer call first to find out if its repairable and if so how much.

I would also research a replacement to be safe, I would say LCD/LED but if you have the money Plasma might be worthwhile as well but LCD/LED TV's seem to be cheaper and more common

LCD would be inferior picture to an existing DLP :)

You either want another DLP or plasma :)

Ditch the bitch!

"Service engineers" are what in the old days we called "tube jerkers". They swap parts at your expense until you throw them out of your home or they fix it by accident. They have minimal if any training. Think middle east call center. Oh, and you are paying $100 an hour or more labor plus 100% mark up on the parts they install.

The parts to rebuild a product cost 2-3 times what the set cost new.

In the last 4 years new TV prices have dropped by 50-75%.

As for which technology to buy (LCD, LED LCD, DLP, Plasma) go to a store and look at them. When you see one you like do what we OSNN'ers always do. Mail order it for a lot less. ;)

PS Panasonic has a horrible reputation for power supply failures and it went on for years. They may have fixed it but I will not take the risk.

PPS If you must rebuild the set instead of buying new be advised. Buddy at work went through the process doing the work himself (he's a real hardware engineer and has the skills). Not sure if I remember the part names right but - bulb, shutter, and the spinning part before he had it back in shape. Be careful to not touch any of the parts. Bulb will fry from skin oil, smudges on other parts will cause issues with the image. Good luck.

Panasonic are getting good reviews for picture quality (rivaling pioneer) and longevity in Europe these days.

Thanks for the advice all. I think since it still "works", I'll hold onto it and just save up for a little while. I probably have until the Super Bowl before I NEED one.

I have a samsung 50 inch plasma and it is the best tv I ever owned. I love it and would gladly buy another one.

I love samsung, I would try and get another DLP, since I think its the best picture (at least over the LCDs) and certainly for the price.
I've got a Samsung 61inch DLP and I love it, shame that yours had that problem :(
I've also got a Samsung 42 inch Plasma and its good as well!
On the other hand, my friend just got a 73 inch Mitsubishi DLP and that is even awesomer :D

I have a samsung 50 inch plasma and it is the best tv I ever owned. I love it and would gladly buy another one.

I also have one of these, and love it as well. :) <3

I thought about a DLP myself. But I was worried about viewing angles and dimness caused by lighting situations.

From what I have read, plasma sets are much better for rapid scene changes (sports especially) and have a much larger viewing angle - but have issues in a brightly lit room and also consume a LOT more power than an LCD set.

I have a Panasonic 42" plasma (1080i) and a Samsung 58" plasma (1080i). The Panasonic's manuals says that it consumes 535 watts of power. I have not been able to find the power usage of the Samsung - it isn't in the manual nor anywhere online. Both sets have a wonderful picture. My only complaint about the Samsung is that the sound quality is tinny compared to other sets. The cause of this is the speakers as the set is only 1" thick.

Plasma display panels are usually brighter then DLP, RearProj, and LCD/LED screens. So if you can't see your PDP TV it has to be a *really* bright day :)

Yeah, I have no issues with dimness on my plasma. It is good in all lighting situations. I haven't noticed the amount of power consumption either.

The reason why the plasma is good for fast action is because they have a 600mhz refresh. Most lcd's I think are around, at most 60mhz? . A high end LED only has 240mhz.

The one thing I did find with my plasma, and annoying at that, is burn in. My samsung tv has a setting the shakes the screen to keep it from happening. It goes so fast that you can't see it, but it seems to be quite affective.

The one thing I did find with my plasma, and annoying at that, is burn in. My samsung tv has a setting the shakes the screen to keep it from happening. It goes so fast that you can't see it, but it seems to be quite affective.
Yea, I think that's a non-issue now. I used to be so against Plasma's because of burn-in, I leave mine on while playing video games for hours and no burn in from the hub or anything.

Update for everyone. I don't think my tv is going to last very much longer. Shortly after I posted this thread, another white spot showed up. Opposite side of the screen, slightly lower. Today, the wife is watching and it looks like someone sneezed on the damn thing. White spots everywhere. Looks like I'm going shopping this afternoon.

I hope you find one you like, Bouncingsoul.

I wish I had been paying more attention to your post earlier:

Numerous white spots on Smasung DLP TV - FixYa

1-800-samsung about my HL-T5075S white spot syndrome

It's the Digital Micromirror Device (DMD) chip. Common problem on Samsungs. Some people got free repairs. Not sure if you can with a 4 year old set.

BTW according to the posts your set will white out completely very soon.

I meant to update this post shortly after I ranted about going to shopping, but I forgot. What LeeJend said is correct, I got a hold of Samsung and they have requested an authorized repair rep come fix my DLP for free! Thankfully I didn't buy anything in between the time I found the extra dots and the time I figured out you can call Samsung.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back