Turning off Google Talk

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
I really only checked into this for a few seconds, poked around in the options and didn't see anything.

When I login to GMAIL from work, it's not a big deal because I am accessing my e-mail. BUT, essentially it looks as if I am hammering trying to connect to the Google chat service, which it attempts to re-connect at an increasing interval, which shows up at the firewall :eek:

Anyone know how I can turn that darn thing off?

in the chat options tab you could try and set the quick contacts size to 0

Set your browser to use the same User Ident string as Safari, for some reason it does not work in Safari yet :p

Set yourself to offline, the next time you login to GMail you will remain offline.

in the chat options tab you could try and set the quick contacts size to 0

That didn't work, just shortens my 'buddy list'

Set yourself to offline, the next time you login to GMail you will remain offline.

I'll give that a try when I get home. I can't seem to configure that option without connecting first, which I can't do from here :(

This didn't work unfortunately. I put myself in offline mode when I left this morning, but it seems to kick you back into online next time you sign in.

Anyone else have suggestions?

This should help:

Attachments

• gmail-trythis.JPG
    gmail-trythis.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 104
Not only did that work, but it also saved the preference when I logged out AND cleared cache, woo!

I feel a bit silly for not seeing that myself :p

Thanks a bunch man, reps+++

yea same here, I think I tryed it once, and was like it really is pointless.

Yep, all my friends use MSN. No one I know uses Google Talk and they won't want to switch.

Actually, I use google talk.. a friend of mine who has AIM, MSN, and Yahoo accounts but works at a place that blocks AIM and MSN and Yahoo.. but haven't blocked gtalk yet.. so I keep in touch with him during they day via GoogleTalk

edit: actually, to take it a little off topic, but since we have places to hold/display our IM info here on OSNN in our profiles, how difficult would it be to include a GTalk setting for IM? I think most people here have gmail accounts and, by association, also have gtalk accounts.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back