• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

turn photo into a pencil sketch [tutorial]

ljyanna

OSNN One Post Wonder
Would you like to draw a pencil sketch? You are not good at drawing? Well, it doesn’t matter, follow me, please.

Step 1: Open your image in Photoshop, Choose Image->Adjustment->Desaturate (or Ctrl+Shift+U by default) to make the photo to black-and-white.

Step 2: Click Layer-> Duplicate Layer, duplicate the background as background copy.

Step 3: Use Image->Adjustment->Invert (or Ctrl+I by default), then the image will look like a negative.

Step 4: From the layer palette, set the blending options as Color Bodge.

Step 5: Choose Filter->Blur->Guassian Blur, set the radius 4 pixels.

Step 6: Don’t forget to merge the layer at last. So, everything is done!

Last edited:

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
Re: Mini tutorial - pencil sketch

interesting... one question though (which I am sure makes no difference to the technique working!)

Why is "before" pic in monochrome and "after" pic in colour?

Oh yeah, OK two questions - is the software in use PSP? Or Photoshop? Or GIMP? or will they all do this kinda thing and so you do not need to specify?

Oh yeah OK that is five questions...
and if this is turning into Monty Pything where are the vikings to SPAM the thread? lol :D :p

[EDIT] this
if this is turning into Monty Pything
was a typo, but I decided this was Fujistic and should remain, because turning into Monty Python just does not have the same ring to it :D [/EDIT]

ljyanna

OSNN One Post Wonder

Oh yeah OK that is five questions...
and if this is turning into Monty Pything where are the vikings to SPAM the thread? lol :D :p

[EDIT] this was a typo, but I decided this was Fujistic and should remain, because turning into Monty Python just does not have the same ring to it :D [/EDIT]
Sorry, I don't quite understand what you mean. :speechless:

Oh yeah, OK two questions - is the software in use PSP? Or Photoshop? Or GIMP? or will they all do this kinda thing and so you do not need to specify?
Photoshop.
I am not familiar with GIMP, so i don't whether it can be made with it.

Last edited:

gonaads

Beware the G-Man
Political User

- is the software in use PSP? Or Photoshop? Or GIMP? or will they all do this kinda thing and so you do not need to specify?
O.K. this is for all that may use Paint Shop Pro 9 or above.

As originally posted by ljyanna, but with differences. Mostly as to location of the tools and/or commands.

Step 1: Open image in PSP. Then click Image -> GrayScale.

Step 2: Now click Layers -> Duplicate.

Step 3: Now click Adjust -> Color Balance -> Negative Image.

Step 4: From the Layers Palette (usually set on right side of work window by default), set the blend mode to Dodge.

Step 5: Click Adjust -> Blur -> Guassian Blur. Again set the radius to 4 pixels.

Step 6: And finally merge the layers. Click -> Layers -> Merge -> Merge All (Flatten)

Now this in no way takes anything away from ljyanna. This is for any members that may use Paint Shop Pro ver9 or higher instead of PhotoShop. :D

gonaads

Beware the G-Man
Political User
I don't really know. But if someone that uses GIMP can do up the sequence of events for this "Pencil Sketch" would be great, even if this is not the Linux section. This being the Creative Development/Graphic Design section kinda makes it an all OS type thread, don't ya think?

falconguard

Carbon based lifeform
Political User
I don't think that it matters being in the linux section, as the Gimp would be working with graphic design. *Still waiting for a Gimp tutorial*

gonaads

Beware the G-Man
Political User
One quick thing. In Paint Shop Pro X the Negative Image tool is under the Image tab on the top bar. Everything else is basically the same.

Attachments

X-Istence

Political User
I would do a GIMP one, but I can't download the gimp over an open wireless AP, I would feel bad for the people that own the AP if they would get extra charges because of bandwidth overages.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timpage