"Turn off computer" doesn't turn off computer.

Gammon

OSNN One Post Wonder
My System:

2 x 512MB Non-ECC Unbuffered PC3200 Kindston DDR SDRAM
AMD Athlon XP "Barton" 3200+ CPU (Not OCed)
BFG GeForceFX 5700 Ultra Video Card
Abit AN7 Motherboard
Logitech MX Duo Wireless Keyboard/Mouse Combo
Samsung Ultra ATA133 160GB Hard Drive
Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM Drive
Lite-On 52x32x52 CD-RW Drive
Enlight 420Watt Power Supply
Sony Floppy Drive
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Whenever I click the button to turn off my computer it shuts down the OS and essentially stops everything, but I have to manually kill the machine. I've read somewhere that some new motherboards operate this way where they do not fully shutdown from hitting the button in Windows.

When I kill the system with the power button everything goes smoothly; when I start it up again it all works properly. So there are no real problems, except that it is inconvenient at times and I would prefer to be able to fully shut down the system without having to manually press anything.

Could this just be the way my motherboard operates? I played with the motherboard settings for a while and read through the manual, but there doesn't seem to be anything that would effect this. I'm not quite sure why a motherboard wouldn't at least have an option for it. I just built another system not too long ago with an Abit KR7A and it shuts down fully from Windows.

Also, it seems weird that when I push the power button to power off the system after Windows has shut down, pushing once does nothing. I have to hold it in for 4 seconds even though I have the motherboard set to power off immediately on pushing the button, not the "Delay 4 Sec." option. And when I push the button while Windows is running, it acts as if I clicked "turn off computer" from the start menu. And I have to push it again once Windows shuts down.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I have a similar issue too, although it occurs on an Athlon 500mhz cpu, with an older VIA board. I'm not exactly sure how to ratify it, although there's this page with some info:

http://www.pcscom.com/windows_xp_shutdown.htm

I haven't even been able to go through the whole list. Odd though that it only started to occur when I re-installed Windows XP.

There are three things you should check. In Control Panel>Power Options>Advanced Tab make sure that Advanced Power Management is enabled. Now this tab won't exist if the system was loaded ACPI and not Standard PC. If not there don't worry. Second, in the Registry under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon change the value PowerdownAfterShutdown to 1. And third, in the registry under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion create a new key called "Shutdown" and then under this new key create a REG_DWORD called "ShutdownSetting" and give a data value of 3.

i had a system do that, i reinstalled xp and that problem went away

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back