Turn my desktop into a server type thing

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Hey, I was wondering if there is any free way for me to turn my desktop into a server, without reformatting it. I need to be able to access my desktop from over the internet and get access to my files, I'm hoping to use it as a sort of online backup system. Anybody have any ideas.

Hardware speaking, a desktop machine can run a server OS, but you would need to pay for the cost of the license if it's Windows based. I'm not too familiar but I'm sure there are Linux server versions you can run free.

Not sure of a way you could access files from another OS over the internet without some type of service running - but you could theoretically dual boot and have those files on another partition and access them from the file system itself.

I need to be able to access my desktop from over the internet and get access to my files, I'm hoping to use it as a sort of online backup system. Anybody have any ideas.

if all you want is to access your desktop and files, I would suggest Hamachi

If you want a file server of sorts, depending on the number of simultaneous connections you expect, you could also setup a FTP server using XP and/or Vista..

if all you want is to access your desktop and files, I would suggest Hamachi

If you want a file server of sorts, depending on the number of simultaneous connections you expect, you could also setup a FTP server using XP and/or Vista..
Yea, I really only care about accessing and transfering files over the net. I dont even need to be able to control the desktop. How would I go about setting up the ftp thing, its running vista btw. Thanks for the responses

I totally misunderstood what you were asking, my apologies.

Hamachi is a great start - but if you just want FTP, I can recommend BulletProof FTP as I run that on my Vista box at home. I like how they have a page you can enter in your details and they will test to make sure everything is setup properly such as Port Forwarding, PASV mode and DynDNS if applicable.

I'll link to the page later on when I'm home.

-edit-

http://www.bpftp.com/

Also, Filezilla has a server option for FTP that would be free - BPFTP is a paid for product.

I totally misunderstood what you were asking, my apologies.

Hamachi is a great start - but if you just want FTP, I can recommend BulletProof FTP as I run that on my Vista box at home. I like how they have a page you can enter in your details and they will test to make sure everything is setup properly such as Port Forwarding, PASV mode and DynDNS if applicable.

I'll link to the page later on when I'm home.
sweet thanks

ioFTPD or you could use built in ftp that comes with vista, bulletproof is a good one if you want something simple

It's a bit over kill.. as Vanq already stated, he's not really interested in full blown remote control of the desktop.
Yea, I really only care about accessing and transfering files over the net. I dont even need to be able to control the desktop. How would I go about setting up the ftp thing, its running vista btw. Thanks for the responses

Yes, LogMeIn can be used to transfer files, but i don't beleive you can do that with the free account version of LogMeIn. And an FTP server is much faster/quicker overall for what he wants to do.

I use Logmein.com to get into my machine but for getting access to my files, I use HFS. it's a simple http server that works great, can create accounts and give upload access to those accounts...I have all the access I need...i also use dyndns to access my file server and it works great.

Thanks everyone, I think im going to try and use FileZilla server, does anyone know how I would go about setting it up. i tried to do it a week ago, but i was unable to make my desktop open as a server. I am connecting through a Belkin router as well.

you will have to forward the ports to that pc - ftp port (which ever you choose) and pasv ports

you will have to forward the ports to that pc - ftp port (which ever you choose) and pasv ports
yea, i tried that. Now what would the connecting address be, to connect into the desktop from the other pc?

normally lans use 192.168.x.x addresses, if you are going to be using ftp service i would advise setting its ip as static.

so if your pc is 192.168.100.1 and server is 192.168.100.2 - you would use the .2 address, everyone else would have to use your external ip address

normally lans use 192.168.x.x addresses, if you are going to be using ftp service i would advise setting its ip as static.

so if your pc is 192.168.100.1 and server is 192.168.100.2 - you would use the .2 address, everyone else would have to use your external ip address
So, what if i want to access it externally. just use my external ip from comcast, and then how do i signify the correct pc?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back