Ttl ??

heh the problem with that theory is that if you bump into a carrier using MPLS configured routers, you could hop through 10,000 and only see 2....

so its not a reliable source of info. You wont see the coreix routers at all because of that protocol on an inbound trace, yet your packet jumps through either one or both, depening whic carrier you com in via and which part of our network you want to get to.

My head hurts.

Time for bed. :(

*takes another drink from Pepsi*

I SAID, TIME FOR BED!

*takes yet another drink of Pepsi*

:mad: This gonna take a while. :p

ttl can also give us a good indication of what the device is when you ping it :)

dreamworks said:
:) .. great .. now I feel like I am lost in the big ocean .. or big jungle .. :)

Yeah, I'm in the other boat a few meters away. Or was that a tree? :p

yeah, some routers dont decrement the ttl as it goes through them, this is often done on some edge routers so that the packet can still bounce around a fair bit once it is inside the routers network.

edge routers being the routers on the edge of a network, they interface with the network itself and other edge routers on other networks. IE your ISP will have these to talk to other routers so you can send packets around the world. Exciting huh :p

ok .. slowly sipping in .. but still unclear. so to a network guy .. how important is TTL as a whole? and in what situation is it considered important?

the reason why i asked is because i am trying to hook up 2 sites on different location and i have 2 options:-

1) option 1 - leased line which is currectly in used and the TTL between both the sites is around 250 - 350.

2) option 2 - satelite connection which is being considered but was told the TTL would be around 750 - 1000 instead although the bandwidth is higher.

so thats the reason why i asked this question :)

dreamworks said:
ok .. slowly sipping in .. but still unclear. so to a network guy .. how important is TTL as a whole? and in what situation is it considered important?
It's only important to prevent overload if loops form in a network (which is bad on its own).

dreamworks said:
the reason why i asked is because i am trying to hook up 2 sites on different location and i have 2 options:-

1) option 1 - leased line which is currectly in used and the TTL between both the sites is around 250 - 350.

2) option 2 - satelite connection which is being considered but was told the TTL would be around 750 - 1000 instead although the bandwidth is higher.

so thats the reason why i asked this question :)
Are you sure we're really talking TTL here? That's awfully high numbers. Impossibly high. Are you sure you're not referring to ping (turnaround time)? That's usually higher on a satellite connection since it takes time for the signal to travel out into space and back. 250-350 (milliseconds) on a regular land connection is still high (a packets usually gets around the globe in that time).

Also wasn't it stated before that the TTL default max is 255, be it by app or OS?

Hmmm ... ok maybe its not TTL than. I have to re-check and confirm again. But thanks very much for the information guys!!

Really appreciate your assistance. Cheers!

dreamworks said:
Hmmm ... ok maybe its not TTL than. I have to re-check and confirm again. But thanks very much for the information guys!!

Really appreciate your assistance. Cheers!
At least you learned something, although it may not have been what you were looking for! ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back