tryout version of Lightwave

lancer

There is no answer!
Political Access
Does anyone know where i can get a tryout version of lightwave, it used to be available for free, but can find it anywhere.

I don't believe they have the Lightwave Discovery edition available anymore.. They released that about 2, 2.5 years ago. Even if you could find a copy, you'd be working with v7.5 which is a couple version behind and limited in what you can do with it.

You could look at buying the education version which is the same as the full commercial version - you just can't sell anything you produce with it. You could then buy an upgrade from the education to the commercial after 6 months.

Maya has a free personal edition still available if you are interesed..

Honestly, Haven't used it personally. The little that I do in 3d modeling/animation is usually done in 3dsmax

edit:
Lightwave, Maya, and 3ds are usually the triumverant of 3d modeling packages and have mostly silimiar capabilities - just different ways to do things.

well thanks a lot, i'm downloading as we speak, also how hard is it to learn 3d modeling?

Well, it's not for the faint of heart - most modling interfaces are pretty complex affairs with lots of options and lots of terminolgy. I'm only a very bad novice at this point.

It also takes a lot of time - not only to tweak a model, but the rendering process can take forever for a complex scene (there is a reason movie houses have 50-100+ computers just doing rendering!).

How hard is it to learn? There is a pretty steep learning curve when you first step into it - there's modeling, shading, texturing, lighting, animation, camera tracking, etc.. aspects that all need to be learned to some degree. And if you want to do some really neat stuff, there's composting and post production work that needs to be learned. And if want to be really good at all of them, you'll be doing it for a lifetime. Hey, movie houses have specific departments that just do the modeling.. and specific departments that just do texturing.. too hard to become a true expert at everything involved in the 3d world.

But it does get a little easier once you reach a certain point and are more comfortable in your choosen software package interface.

Here's a couple good sites for you to go for help..
http://www.cgchat.com/forum/
http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_home.php

I present an ascii based representation of the 3d modelling learning curve: |

Enjoy :D

LordOfLA said:
I present an ascii based representation of the 3d modelling learning curve: |

Enjoy :D

LOL.. too true! :)

Have my meager offering of reps..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back