Trying to reinstall windows and format my C: Drive

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Hey everyone,
I am trying to re-install windows on my desktop, i want a fresh install but i also want my c drive wiped clean.
I have two hdds c with my current windows installation, J with most of my files. Does anybody know how i can have my computer wipe clean the C: drive as an option, it only allows me to delete the partition of my J drive, it says that the c drive has important windows installation files.
Does anybody know how to make it simply take everything from the disc, or maybe have it look to the J drive for the copied files?
If anyone knows another way to format the drive windows is on would help too.
Thanks,
Jack

If you boot from the Windows XP CD, during the initial setup phase I would just delete the C Partition as the first step, re-create it with whatever size you want (probably entire hdd capacity), and then choose that partition to format and install.

Just be sure to pick the right physical disk and you shouldn't have any issues. I haven't ever seen that type of error, regarding important windows files, unless you picked the wrong options...

Delete Partition/Re-Create Partition/Format with NTFS/Install

Thats what i thought, BUT stupidly because this disc im using has been known to have issues before, i clicked copy to the hdd initially, when i did it again, I selected "no, install from disc" but it still wont let me delete the c partition :(
I swear, it makes me want to just smash my computer, hell two of the fans already got ripped out of the case, thank god it was only fans (the side cover fell which has 3 fans on it, connected to the fan on top the case.)

What you could do is disconnect your drive with the data you want to keep. Then get a 98 boot floppy, if you have a floppy drive, and do a format with that .. If you dont' have a floppy drive you can use a partition program or something. sometimes using Windows XP to do it won't work.

Once you get that done; I would suggest that you make an image of the drive and use that next time. It will save you a couple of hours of work ..

Thats what i thought, BUT stupidly because this disc im using has been known to have issues before, i clicked copy to the hdd initially, when i did it again, I selected "no, install from disc" but it still wont let me delete the c partition :(
I swear, it makes me want to just smash my computer, hell two of the fans already got ripped out of the case, thank god it was only fans (the side cover fell which has 3 fans on it, connected to the fan on top the case.)
If your disc is having problems, and you have your own key, I can send you a new disc if you absolutely have no other options.

I haven't actually ever installed XP from a HD before, so I can't give you much advice there.

Ill just keep trying i guess :(
I know what will happen, ill end up installing windows on my j drive, then ill reformat the c drive, then ill install windows on my c drive and delete windows on my j drive.

Reformat my hard drives.

I am my ends with this one.
I have tried everthing,
I tried to rename my drive letter, it says it cant.
I have tried to reformat, cant do it.
Is there anyway
to bypass everything, every stupid windows feature that doesnt allow disk formatting, and just wipe both my drives completely clean?
This is really, really getting to anger me now.
Please help :(

Re: Reformat my hard drives.

During Windows Setup you are given the option to format and delete paritions/setup new partitions. Surely you've done this before?

Else, find an old Windows 98 startup disk and use fdisk/format command.

Else, http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/format.mspx?mfr=true

You cannot alter the boot drive from within Windows.

Lastly, please do not call Windows stupid. Without it you likely wouldn't even be using a computer.

Re: Reformat my hard drives.

All drive manufacturers have format tools you can download.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back